Can G be Written as a Matrix of Matrices like H?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
EngWiPy
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
61
Hello,

I have the following matrix of matrices

[tex]\mathbf{H}=\begin{array}{cc}\mathbf{A}&\mathbf{B}\\\mathbf{B}^H&\mathbf{A}\end{array}[/tex]

where each element is a square matrix, A is a diagonal matrix of real numbers, whereas B is not (necessarily), and the superscript H means conjugate transpose.

Now I have the following matrix

[tex]\mathbf{G}=\mathbf{H}^H(\mathbf{H}\mathbf{H}^H+\alpha\mathbf{I})^{-1}[/tex]

where 'alpha' and 'I' are a constant scalar and the identity matrix, respectively. Will this matrix exhibit the same structure as H. In other words, can we write G as:

[tex]\mathbf{G}=\begin{array}{cc}\mathbf{A}_G & \mathbf{B}_G \\ \mathbf{B}^H_G &\mathbf{A}_G \end{array}[/tex]

Via simulation it looks like it does, but I am wondering how to prove this mathematically?

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this will help:
img11.gif


Source: http://www.cs.nthu.edu.tw/~jang/book/addenda/matinv/matinv/