Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can Genius solve any of exercises of textbook

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    I know my question is not clear.All I want to say if genius ones can solve any exercise of textbook without any problem I mean without having a problem at one of the sub exercise.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, it is not clear at all. What the hell are you talking about?

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    My dog is a genius at fetching balls.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. Aug 8, 2011 #4
    In the modern textbooks of mathematics, on every section there are many exercises, is one who is a genius can solve all the exercises of the textbook without having any mistakes or problems.I assumed that this genius is reading the section and then solve exercises is that clear now ???

6. Aug 8, 2011 #5
    My English is bad I know.I want to know from you only if my question is clear now or not ?

7. Aug 8, 2011 #6

S_Happens

Gold Member

Your question is clear enough, but actually meaningless.

8. Aug 8, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The answer is yes: a genius will be able to solve all exercises of a textbook. But it may take some time.

9. Aug 8, 2011 #8
    What do you mean by some time ?

10. Aug 8, 2011 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nanas, your question is not really meaningful or useful. What is your purpose in asking it?

The POINT of exercises in books is to give students an opportunity to apply the concepts in the book. What difference does it make if a particularly smart person can figure them all out?

ANYBODY can figure them all out given enough time.

11. Aug 8, 2011 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A day, a month, a year, ...
    Some textbooks exercises are extra-ordinary hard. It could take a genius over a year to solve all of them. It happens.

12. Aug 8, 2011 #11
    I think of that also he can solve all exercises and remain 4 or 5 Extra-ordinary hard questions which he will take a lot of time to solve.But must any one try to solve all exercises

13. Aug 8, 2011 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

:confused:

Nanas, could you please tell us why you are asking all these questions? Why do you need to know this?? It'll be easier for us to help you if you tell us some more.

Did somebody tell you that you MUST solve all questions in a textbook in order to be smart?? Is this why you are asking this?

14. Aug 8, 2011 #13
    But the time students have to solve them (I think) very Short.

15. Aug 8, 2011 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If it is a school text book assigned for your course, then you don't need to be a genius in order to solve them. You just need to be a good student.

16. Aug 8, 2011 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm sorry Evo, but it's obvious that you never read Rudin before :biggrin: I doubt that there are much students out there that can solve all of his exercises... I still have nightmares from that book :tongue2:

17. Aug 8, 2011 #16
    yes!!!!!

18. Aug 8, 2011 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Then they were wrong.

19. Aug 8, 2011 #18

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed, they were wrong. Being a genius has little to do with being able to solve textbook problems quickly.

A good scientist is (for me) somebody who can work hard and really embed himself in the problem. It may take years to reach a solution (and some never reach a solution), but a scientist must persist.

Remember what Einstein said: genius is 1% intelligence and 99% hard work. I believe that.

20. Aug 8, 2011 #19
    A genius could solve all the exercises, but not everyone who solves them is a genius.

21. Aug 8, 2011 #20
    Out of curiosity, is there a specific textbook you are using?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook