Is June 2008 SAT Eligibility for High School Graduates in India?

• Testing
  • Thread starter Rainbow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sat
In summary: I think you should seriously consider CIT. They have a great program and the faculty is very passionate about physics. They also have a great research program. Like I said before, don't be discouraged if you don't get into MIT. There are other great schools out there for theoretical physicists.anyways, rainbow, Whatever you decide to do, having your heart set on MIT is great, but don't forget your other options, because otherwise you'll have nothing else to turn to if you don't get it
Rainbow
Hello,
I am a high school student in India. I want to get into the MIT. So, I have to appear for the SAT. I am going to be a high school graduate in May 2008. So, my question is that whether I am eligible to appear for the SAT in june this year.
Please, I need some suggestions regarding getting into the MIT.

By the way, I am aspiring to become a theoretical physicist. Is MIT the best place to do my graduation? If not please let me know of the names of the best college(s).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally students in the US take the SAT in the spring of their junior year and fall of their senior year. Also I believe MIT is no longer accepting applications for fall 07.

Yowhatsupt said:
Generally students in the US take the SAT in the spring of their junior year and fall of their senior year. Also I believe MIT is no longer accepting applications for fall 07.

I am going to be a high school graduate in May 2008.
Rainbow would be applying for Fall 08.

Back to the OP, yes Rainbow, assuming you can find somewhere to do the SAT...

Is MIT the best place to do my graduation if I'm aspiring to become a theoretical physicist?

theres always CIT aka caltech. I'd argue its better but I might be biased about that since I live in california and I want to go there myself

It is extremely difficult for an international student to get admitted to MIT and I think they only take 4-5 students from India every year. To get admitted as an international student you need to be exceptional: win competitions, spotless grades, spotless SAT's. I'm not going to lie to you: even if you ensure all this criteria, your chances of admission are still very low.

Werg22 said:
It is extremely difficult for an international student to get admitted to MIT and I think they only take 4-5 students from India every year.
So, please give some good advice that would help me increase my chances of getting into the MIT.

Like I said, you have to be expectional. Students with good grades are a dime a dozen... MIT looks for students that are a million the unit. Honestly, you need to have a very impressive portfolio when you apply and this certainly implies winning prestegious competitions and more: getting into research, etc. Don't be dead set on MIT because getting admited there is next to impossible for international students.

Werg22 said:
Honestly, you need to have a very impressive portfolio when you apply and this certainly implies winning prestegious competitions and more: getting into research, etc.

Research? Sounds like a great idea but most average kids don't get much opportunity to do any real proffesional research. How can someone do research if their school doesn't offer them any physics programs?

Ki Man said:
Research? Sounds like a great idea but most average kids don't get much opportunity to do any real proffesional research. How can someone do research if their school doesn't offer them any physics programs?

Life isn't meant to be fair. And not necessarily professional research, but independent and supervised.

Werg22 said:
And not necessarily professional research, but independent and supervised.

like building a cloud chamber and writing a report on the variety of particles seen at different times of the day?

Niners these days...

Hehehe...

anyways, rainbow, Whatever you decide to do, having your heart set on MIT is great, but don't forget your other options, because otherwise you'll have nothing else to turn to if you don't get it

Thank you for your suggestions guys. Keep advising.

1. Can I take the SAT now even if I am not in high school yet?

No, the SAT is typically taken by high school students in their junior or senior year. However, some students may take the SAT in their sophomore year if they feel prepared.

2. How do I register for the SAT?

You can register for the SAT online through the College Board website. You will need to create an account, fill out personal information, and choose a test date and location.

3. Can I take the SAT multiple times?

Yes, you can take the SAT as many times as you want. Colleges will usually only consider your highest score, but some may take a combination of your highest section scores from different test dates.

4. Is there a specific time of year when I should take the SAT?

The SAT is offered multiple times throughout the year, typically in October, November, December, March, May, and June. It is recommended to take the test during your junior year or early in your senior year.

5. Do I need to prepare for the SAT?

Yes, it is highly recommended to prepare for the SAT by studying and familiarizing yourself with the content and format of the test. This can include taking practice tests, reviewing material, and seeking outside help if needed.