1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I appear for the SAT now?

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    Hello,
    I am a high school student in India. I want to get into the MIT. So, I have to appear for the SAT. I am going to be a high school graduate in May 2008. So, my question is that whether I am eligible to appear for the SAT in june this year.
    Please, I need some suggestions regarding getting into the MIT.

By the way, I am aspiring to become a theoretical physicist. Is MIT the best place to do my graduation? If not please let me know of the names of the best college(s).

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2
    Generally students in the US take the SAT in the spring of their junior year and fall of their senior year. Also I believe MIT is no longer accepting applications for fall 07.

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3

KTC

Rainbow would be applying for Fall 08.

Back to the OP, yes Rainbow, assuming you can find somewhere to do the SAT...

5. Apr 23, 2007 #4
    Is MIT the best place to do my graduation if I'm aspiring to become a theoretical physicist?

6. Apr 23, 2007 #5
    theres always CIT aka caltech. I'd argue its better but I might be biased about that since I live in california and I want to go there myself

7. Apr 23, 2007 #6
    It is extremely difficult for an international student to get admitted to MIT and I think they only take 4-5 students from India every year. To get admitted as an international student you need to be exceptional: win competitions, spotless grades, spotless SAT's. I'm not gonna lie to you: even if you ensure all this criteria, your chances of admission are still very low.

8. Apr 24, 2007 #7
    So, please give some good advice that would help me increase my chances of getting into the MIT.

9. Apr 24, 2007 #8
    Like I said, you have to be expectional. Students with good grades are a dime a dozen... MIT looks for students that are a million the unit. Honestly, you need to have a very impressive portfolio when you apply and this certainly implies winning prestegious competitions and more: getting into research, etc. Don't be dead set on MIT because getting admited there is next to impossible for international students.

10. Apr 24, 2007 #9
    Research? Sounds like a great idea but most average kids dont get much opportunity to do any real proffesional research. How can someone do research if their school doesnt offer them any physics programs?

11. Apr 24, 2007 #10
    Life isn't meant to be fair. And not necessarily professional research, but independent and supervised.

12. Apr 24, 2007 #11
    like building a cloud chamber and writing a report on the variety of particles seen at different times of the day?

13. Apr 24, 2007 #12
    Niners these days...

14. Apr 24, 2007 #13
    Hehehe...

anyways, rainbow, Whatever you decide to do, having your heart set on MIT is great, but dont forget your other options, because otherwise you'll have nothing else to turn to if you dont get it

15. Apr 26, 2007 #14
    Thank you for your suggestions guys. Keep advising.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?