Can I change the limits of this double integral

In summary, the homework equation is expressing the double integral of f(x,y)=6x^2+2y over R in two equivalent ways. One where x<-2 and x^2<y<4 and the other where 0<y<4 and -sqrt(y)<x<sqrt(y). It is always true when the functions involved are even and the region is symmetrical.
egroeg93

Homework Statement

R is the region bounded by y=x^2 and y=4. evaluate the double integral of f(x,y)=6x^2+2y over R

After drawing the region I was wondering if I could just work with the first quadrant and then double my solution, because both y=x^2 and y=4 are even functions so my question is does my solution work? If so would my very first line be correct? Oh and I'm not sure how to write what I'm integrating between so when I put ∫[a,b]f'(x)dx that's f(a)-f(b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫[4,0]∫[y^1/2,-y^1/2]6x^2+2y dxdy = 2*∫[4,0]∫[y^1/2,0] 6x^2+2y dxdy
following it through
= 2*∫[4,0] [[2(y^1/2)^3+2*y*y^1/2]-[0]] dy
= 2*∫[4,0] 4*y^3/2 dy
= 2*[[8/5*(4^5/2)]-[0]]
= 512/5

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right at a glance. You can split it, but it does not help much.

write

[tex]\int_{-2}^2 \int_{x^2}^4 \! (6x^2+2y) \text{ dy dx}[/tex]

or just

[tex]\int \limits_A \! (6x^2+2y) \text{ dA}[/tex]

if you can't be bothered with the limits.

lurflurf said:
That looks right at a glance. You can split it, but it does not help much.

write

[tex]\int_{-2}^2 \int_{x^2}^4 \! (6x^2+2y) \text{ dy dx}[/tex]

or just

[tex]\int \limits_A \! (6x^2+2y) \text{ dA}[/tex]

if you can't be bothered with the limits.

Okay let me rephrase my question with the aid of proper symbols :)

[tex]\int_{-2}^2 \int_{x^2}^4 \! (6x^2+2y) \text{ dy dx}[/tex] =
[tex]2*{\int_{0}^4 \int_{0}^{y^{1/2}} \! (6x^2+2y) \text{ dx dy}}[/tex]

Is this just coincidence or is this always true when you have a Region formed by two even functions as in the question?

Yes that is true (with some conditions) it is called Fubini's theorem. It is not quite always true if you include improper integrals, for example this common example given in the above Wikipedia link.

[tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^1 \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} \text{ dx dy}=-\int_0^1 \int_0^1 \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} \text{ dy dx}[/tex]

That is the type of thing considered in theoretical treatments of calculus, but it is good to be aware of. When the function either does not go to infinity or is absolutely integrable it is safe to interchange the integrals. Of course (6x^2+2y) is a very well behaved integrant. What you have done is express the region in two equivalent ways.

2<x<-2 and x^2<y<4
is the same as
0<y<4 and -sqrt(y)<x<sqrt(y)

and your symmetry argument that the integral over half the region equals half the integral over the whole region.

Last edited:

1. Can I change the order of integration in a double integral?

Yes, the order of integration in a double integral can be changed as long as the limits of integration are still valid for the new order. This can often simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. How can I change the limits of a double integral?

The limits of a double integral can be changed by using a change of variables. This involves substituting new variables in place of the original variables and adjusting the limits accordingly. It is important to ensure that the new variables cover the same region as the original variables in order to get an accurate solution.

3. Can I change the limits of a double integral to cover a larger region?

Yes, the limits of a double integral can be changed to cover a larger region by adjusting the upper and lower limits of integration. However, it is important to make sure that the new limits still accurately represent the desired region and do not go beyond it.

4. Is it possible to change the limits of a double integral to make it easier to solve?

Yes, it is possible to change the limits of a double integral to make it easier to solve. This can be done by choosing appropriate limits that result in simpler integrands or by changing the order of integration to make the integral easier to evaluate.

5. Are there any restrictions on changing the limits of a double integral?

Yes, there are some restrictions on changing the limits of a double integral. The new limits must still accurately represent the desired region and cannot extend beyond it. Additionally, any change of variables must be valid and result in a one-to-one transformation.