1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I find time without knowing initial velocity?

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    1. My problem is I know displacement is 20m, acceleration is -5.4m/s, final velocity is 0m/s, coefficient of friction=0.55, the object slowing down weighs 1000kg, can I find initial velocity and the time it took to slow down and if so how? I have no idea how to go about this problem

2. Equations of motion and coeffcient of friction = frictional force/normal force?? maybe F=ma

3. As I said I really dunno how to start this one or if its even possible at my level.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2
    Do you have a formula that relates final velocity to initial velocity plus an acceleration-distance term?

You can also do this problem with work-energy relationships if you've studied that.

Hint:

Take the usual equation: d=V0*t+.5*a*t^2 and eliminate the variable t by inserting the relationship between final velocity, acceleration, and time. Solve for final velocity.

4. May 19, 2012 #3
    I woke up this morning, looked at this and it all jsut clicked in my head thankyou.

5. May 19, 2012 #4
    Is the initial velocity 14.7 m/s^2?

6. May 20, 2012 #5
    That's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook