Can I move a macro object at a very small distance (around 10 nm)?

In summary: N4bzc4d3aSg&t=569sUse differential screws to approach the target with a stylus, under an optical microscope.Use piezoelectric transducers for fine positioning steps and scanning.
gggnano
TL;DR Summary
Just a metal cube or whatever moved nanometer by nanometer?
Let's say I have a "nearly ideal" surface such as silicon wafer with around 5 nm roughness and I place something on it (with similar surface roughness) - then how can I move this object step by step at abysmal distances of just several nanometers, under 50 or so?

I assume bar friction, air/dust/sound/gravity...may be an issue? And even in vacuum what are realistic options even if I'm unable to know the exact result but just feel the effect?

- radiation press. from laser?
- magnet?
- surely not arduino motor? Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
^ Yes, I guess so :). I still don't want to give up since...light is everywhere, it's still local and...real to me:

Sounds like a job for piezo driver. IIRC, they are COTS in both linear & rotary form...

gggnano said:
... then how can I move this object step by step at abysmal distances of just several nanometers, ...
Use differential screws to approach the target with a stylus, under an optical microscope.
Use piezoelectric transducers for fine positioning steps and scanning.
You are in the world of the “Atomic Force Microscope”.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_force_microscopy

Likes hutchphd
Baluncore said:
Use differential screws to approach the target with a stylus, under an optical microscope.
Use piezoelectric transducers for fine positioning steps and scanning.
You are in the world of the “Atomic Force Microscope”.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_force_microscopy

Very interesting. Just read about the "differential screws" 2-centuries old approach and...

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/21/screwy-math-for-super-fine-adjustments-differential-screws/

So:

"The differential screw in this case started life as a normal M5 bolt with a 0.8 mm thread pitch. [Mark] machined and threaded section of the bolt down to a M4 x 0.7 mm thread. This means he can get 0.1 mm (100 μm) of adjustment per full rotation. By turning the bolt 1/10 rotation, the relative movement comes down to 10 μm."

Easy match suggests 1/100 rotation of 1 micrometer and 10 times scalling the bolt down to 0.1 micrometer or 100 nm I guess another 10 times and it's 'done'...not sure if possible atm but maybe it is - certainly something I need to investigate since I just discovered it...10x again.

Likes Ibix
^ Within budget, $1100 but if I can't make it work it's still waste of time, I think for the time being i'll do for the shamelessly cheap option involving 3d printed screws (I have 3 3d printers should put them to use...) as well as wafers, transducers and maybe arduino/step motors to control. It's the $500 very cheap amateur version but will see. On a site note - I'm not in America (eastern europe/eu) so...ordering anything from America or China gets stopped at the airport, it works door-to-door within the EU though, such as: the German Amazon.

gggnano said:
Summary: Just a metal cube or whatever moved nanometer by nanometer?

Let's say I have a "nearly ideal" surface such as silicon wafer with around 5 nm roughness and I place something on it (with similar surface roughness) - then how can I move this object step by step at abysmal distances of just several nanometers, under 50 or so?

I assume bar friction, air/dust/sound/gravity...may be an issue? And even in vacuum what are realistic options even if I'm unable to know the exact result but just feel the effect?

- radiation press. from laser?
- magnet?
- surely not arduino motor? Thank you!
One possibility might be a piezo-electric crystal, or a quartz crystal. This is how VCR recording heads were adjusted very finely.

Have a look. IBM engineers pushed around individual atoms to make this image. They did it with a scanning tunneling microscope. Study that for more details.

Likes hutchphd

1. Can macro objects be moved at a distance of 10 nm?

Yes, it is possible to move macro objects at a distance of 10 nm using advanced techniques such as atomic force microscopy or optical tweezers.

2. What is the smallest distance at which macro objects can be moved?

The smallest distance at which macro objects can be moved is around 10 nm, which is equivalent to the size of a single atom.

3. How is it possible to move macro objects at such a small distance?

This is made possible by utilizing the principles of nanotechnology and using specialized tools such as atomic force microscopes and optical tweezers that can manipulate objects at the nanoscale level.

4. Are there any limitations to moving macro objects at a distance of 10 nm?

Yes, there are limitations to moving macro objects at such a small distance. These include the sensitivity of the equipment used, the stability of the environment, and the physical properties of the object being moved.

5. What are some potential applications of being able to move macro objects at a distance of 10 nm?

The ability to move macro objects at a distance of 10 nm has numerous potential applications in fields such as nanotechnology, biotechnology, and materials science. It can be used for precise positioning of objects, manipulation of individual molecules, and studying the properties of materials at the nanoscale level.