Can I Play Basketball & Double Major in Science?

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether it is possible to balance playing basketball and pursuing a double major in Chemistry and Physics, while also achieving the goal of getting into a top graduate school. The speaker shares an example of two friends who were able to successfully balance sports and academics, but it required a high level of discipline and time management. They also mention that it is common for students to take five years to complete an engineering degree and that transferring may have been a factor in their friends' extended timeline. The speaker also mentions that their friends chose to stay at their current school for their master's degrees, but it is unclear if they were accepted into top tier graduate schools.
choirgurlio
Hello,

Some one told me that I should not try and play basketball at college and double major in Chemistry and Physics; that I should either pick one or the other. I really love the sport and the sciences and was devastated when they advised me to have to choose between things that I love. After school I plan to get into a top graduate school. Do you think it is possible to play basketball and do well in school achieving the goals I have set forth?

The same person also told me that I should complete my science majors in five years instead of four saying that this was the norm for single science majors let alone double. Is this true? Would a top program accept me if I completed my degrees in five years instead
of four? Does a year difference in time it takes you to finish school factor largely into the selection process?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
choirgurlio said:
Do you think it is possible to play basketball and do well in school achieving the goals I have set forth?
I have two friends who played soccer while getting good (one was valedictorian for his department) grades in electrical and computer engineering and working in a research lab, so I know it's possible. It just takes psychotic levels of discipline and awesome time management skills. I vote for not giving up what you love if you don't have to, as that will make you all resentful and unhappy, which in turn may make you unproductive, but you've got to figure out if you can handle the practice load on top of your coursework. (Oh, and they both took 5 years on top of being transfer students.)

story645 said:
I have two friends who played soccer while getting good (one was valedictorian for his department) grades in electrical and computer engineering and working in a research lab, so I know it's possible. It just takes psychotic levels of discipline and awesome time management skills. I vote for not giving up what you love if you don't have to, as that will make you all resentful and unhappy, which in turn may make you unproductive, but you've got to figure out if you can handle the practice load on top of your coursework.

Thank you very much for your help! What you said is just what I needed to hear - possibility, the dedication it will take and all. (Just for clarification; did one friend complete an electrical engineering degree, while another completed a computer engineering degree, or did they both complete a combination of the two? I'm thinking it's the former..?)

story645 said:
(Oh, and they both took 5 years on top of being transfer students.)

Do you happen to know if the fact that they transferred had to do with the reason why it took them five years to complete school, or were they already planning to take that amount of time to complete their degrees? And lastly, of your knowledge, did they get into top tier graduate schools? Which, if you do know and don't mind telling me?

Thanks again!

choirgurlio said:
Just for clarification; did one friend complete an electrical engineering degree, while another completed a computer engineering degree
This

Do you happen to know if the fact that they transferred had to do with the reason why it took them five years to complete school, or were they already planning to take that amount of time to complete their degrees?
The both work night jobs on top of everything else, though everybody I know with decent grades takes about 5 years to complete the degree. Engineering usually leads to burn out otherwise, 'cause 5 major classes a semester is insanely harsh.

And lastly, of your knowledge, did they get into top tier graduate schools?
They're both sticking with my not top tier school for the masters 'cause neither was in a rush for a phd. (They've got another year of masters work before considering applying for phds.) The valedictorian didn't apply anywhere else 'cause he's getting masters funding, likes the research group, and wants the flexibility. I don't know if the other guy got in where he applied; I think he did and turned it down 'cause of the cost of the masters. He can't get funding at my school for all sorts of reasons, but my school's cheap. Far as I know he's got no plans for the phd; I think he actually wants to work as an engineer of sorts.

Related to Can I Play Basketball & Double Major in Science?

1. Can I balance the workload of a science major and playing basketball?

It is possible to balance both a science major and playing basketball, but it will require strong time management skills and dedication. It may also be helpful to talk to your academic advisor and coach to create a schedule that accommodates both commitments.

2. Will playing basketball affect my grades in my science classes?

Playing basketball may affect your grades in your science classes if you do not manage your time effectively. It is important to prioritize your studies and make sure you are able to keep up with coursework while also participating in basketball activities.

3. Can I still be successful in my science major while playing basketball?

Yes, it is possible to be successful in your science major while playing basketball. Many athletes have successfully balanced both commitments and have excelled in their academic and athletic pursuits. It will require hard work, determination, and effective time management skills.

4. Will participating in basketball prevent me from pursuing research opportunities or internships in my science major?

Participating in basketball should not prevent you from pursuing research opportunities or internships in your science major. It is important to communicate with your coach and academic advisor to plan your schedule accordingly and make time for these opportunities.

5. How can I manage the physical demands of playing basketball while also studying science?

To manage the physical demands of playing basketball while also studying science, it is important to prioritize self-care and maintain a healthy lifestyle. This includes proper nutrition, enough sleep, and regular exercise. It may also be helpful to work with a trainer or coach to develop a workout routine that complements your academic schedule.