Electronics Can I pull a network cable from the middle of the run?

Summary
Is there a way to "unspool" cable from the middle toward both ends?`````
I need to run about 70 ft of ethernet cable through my basement, which is actually two separate unconnected spaces ( there is a small gap above the dividing wall). Because of the layout -- bends and very limited space -- it will be much easier to start near the middle and pull toward each end. I made a simple holder for my spool of cable, but cannot figure out if there is a way to actually do this. Obviously if I pull 1/2 the length of cable then switch to the other end it is going to rewind the first part. Can anyone suggest a way, or confirm that I just have to pull for the entire length?

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
There are mechanical devices which release cables from two opposite sides, but I don't think for ethernet cables. It would probably be easier to use connector plugs and more than one cable.

Summary: Is there a way to "unspool" cable from the middle toward both ends?`````

I need to run about 70 ft of ethernet cable through my basement, which is actually two separate unconnected spaces ( there is a small gap above the dividing wall). Because of the layout -- bends and very limited space -- it will be much easier to start near the middle and pull toward each end. I made a simple holder for my spool of cable, but cannot figure out if there is a way to actually do this. Obviously if I pull 1/2 the length of cable then switch to the other end it is going to rewind the first part. Can anyone suggest a way, or confirm that I just have to pull for the entire length?
Why not just unspool the 2nd 35 feet? It's not that much cable to have loose. I don't see a good way if it has to stay on the spool.
You could remove one of the sides of the spool and then pull some from the center, but you will put a lot of twists into the cable that way. I'm not sure if that matters in your case.
I guess you could respool it starting from the center and pull each end simultaneously, but that sounds like extra work to me. You would still have to unspool half of it, but you could do that in a more convenient location than your basement.
I also like the splice idea since you are probably already set up to crimp connectors on the ends. You would just need to buy a female-female adapter, which are easy to find where I live.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Summary: Is there a way to "unspool" cable from the middle toward both ends?`````
Obviously if I pull 1/2 the length of cable then switch to the other end it is going to rewind the first part.
That's too difficult

Can anyone suggest a way,
this ........

Why not just unspool the 2nd 35 feet? It's not that much cable to have loose. I don't see a good way if it has to stay on the spool.
Totally agree with you Dave

Dave