Can I really not tell if I am in motion?

• Thread starter Nanyang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a train powered by an engine that uses hotter temperature to evaporate water and turn the wheels. It is mentioned that the person observing the train claims that they are not in motion, but the station platform is. However, this claim is contradicted by the fact that the wheels turn in the opposite direction. The conversation then delves into the application of the second law of thermodynamics and concludes that the person in the train is indeed in motion.
Nanyang
Sorry! I think I figured the mistake out right after I posted! This thread can be closed. :redface:

I imagine a train powered by an engine of this sort:

A region of hotter temperature evaporates some water and turn the wheels, and the evaporated water is at a lower temperature.

So I am in the train and I observe that the engine works in the way described above. Relative to myself, I claim that I am not the one in motion but the station platform is in motion.

But to claim that the station platform is in motion I must also claim that the wheel turns in the other way (edit: sorry, mistake here. give me a moment to sort this out). This implies that the evaporated water must fall back into its liquid form from a colder temperature to a hotter temperature. But by the second law of thermodynamics, this is impossible. So I must conclude that I am the one in motion and not the platform despite measuring in my own frame of reference.

So, can I really not tell if I am in motion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're forgetting that the reason the wheels have to turn in the first place is because friction slows the train down and the engine needs to compensate by providing a constant acceleration.

It is possible that you may not be able to tell if you are in motion based on your own observations and frame of reference. However, there are other factors that can help you determine if you are in motion, such as feeling the movement of the train or seeing objects outside the train window passing by. Additionally, if you are able to compare your observations with someone else who is in a stationary reference frame, you can determine your own motion. In this case, it seems like the mistake was figured out after posting, so it is possible that you were able to determine your own motion in the end.

1. Can our perception truly deceive us into thinking we are not in motion?

Yes, our perception can often deceive us into thinking we are stationary when in fact we are in motion. This is due to our brain's ability to filter out motion signals that are constant and not changing, resulting in the illusion of being still.

2. What is the scientific explanation for why we can't feel ourselves moving?

The scientific explanation for why we can't feel ourselves moving is due to a concept known as inertia. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, meaning that our bodies will continue to move at a constant speed and direction unless acted upon by an external force.

3. Why is it easier to feel motion when we are in a moving vehicle compared to when we are standing still?

When we are in a moving vehicle, our body is experiencing acceleration and deceleration, which causes our inner ear fluid to move and send signals to our brain. This, combined with visual cues of our surroundings moving, makes it easier for us to feel motion compared to when we are standing still.

4. Is there any way to train our brains to better sense motion?

Yes, there are certain exercises and activities that can help train our brains to better sense motion. This includes activities such as balance and coordination exercises, as well as exposure to different types of motion and speeds.

5. Can certain factors affect our ability to sense motion?

Yes, there are various factors that can affect our ability to sense motion, such as age, health conditions, medication, and alcohol consumption. These factors can impact the functioning of our inner ear and brain, which are crucial for sensing motion.