Can I really not tell if I am in motion?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Nanyang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Nanyang
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Sorry! I think I figured the mistake out right after I posted! This thread can be closed. :redface:

I imagine a train powered by an engine of this sort:

A region of hotter temperature evaporates some water and turn the wheels, and the evaporated water is at a lower temperature.

So I am in the train and I observe that the engine works in the way described above. Relative to myself, I claim that I am not the one in motion but the station platform is in motion.

But to claim that the station platform is in motion I must also claim that the wheel turns in the other way (edit: sorry, mistake here. give me a moment to sort this out). This implies that the evaporated water must fall back into its liquid form from a colder temperature to a hotter temperature. But by the second law of thermodynamics, this is impossible. So I must conclude that I am the one in motion and not the platform despite measuring in my own frame of reference.

So, can I really not tell if I am in motion?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're forgetting that the reason the wheels have to turn in the first place is because friction slows the train down and the engine needs to compensate by providing a constant acceleration.