Can I still redeem myself in Organic Chemistry?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
SMA_01
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
I'm taking orgo 1 this semester, and we just had our first test. I know that's supposed to be the "easiest" test, but let's just say I was pretty lost. I haven't put in much effort so far in chem, and I know I have to get on track now. Is it too late for me to redeem myself? Like do I still have a chance to do well, or is it a lost cause?

Also, for those of you who have taken Orgo, which book should I use to help me understand the material? My textbook is not detailed enough.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you said yourself that you have not put much effort and organic chemistry is pretty time consuming. Even if you understand everything really well there will still be a quite a bit to memorize once you get to reaction mechanisms. At least that was my experience.

It would be easier to recommend learning materials if we knew what you were having trouble with. My professor had recommended we purchase a chemistry model kit which we could use during class or on exams. She also required us to work through this book:https://www.amazon.com/dp/0030206936/?tag=pfamazon01-20 as a supplement to the textbook. It was kind of tedious but I'm sure it was helpful.

It's not too late to redeem yourself if you work hard!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it would really depend on the way that your teacher weights the tests. I had a Statics teacher that had 2 tests for a total of 90% of the grade. Obviously, botching one of those would have been bad news. If the test is less than 30% of the total grade, I wouldn't sweat it. Work your tail off to make it right on the next test and you'll probably do well. Also, I have to go with the obvious recommendation of Schaum's outline for Organic Chemistry. They saved my rear in Strength of Materials and Circuits. It's only $11, and really helps with the problem solving aspect of the subject. Linky linky: http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?cat=39&isbn=0071745904