Can I still redeem myself in Organic Chemistry?

In summary, the person is struggling in their orgo 1 class and is worried about their first test. They haven't put much effort in and are wondering if it's too late to improve their grade. They are also asking for recommendations on study materials, specifically a chemistry model kit and a book called "Organic Chemistry (Schaum's Outline Series)." Other individuals in the conversation offer advice and encourage the person to work hard and not give up.
SMA_01
I'm taking orgo 1 this semester, and we just had our first test. I know that's supposed to be the "easiest" test, but let's just say I was pretty lost. I haven't put in much effort so far in chem, and I know I have to get on track now. Is it too late for me to redeem myself? Like do I still have a chance to do well, or is it a lost cause?

Also, for those of you who have taken Orgo, which book should I use to help me understand the material? My textbook is not detailed enough.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you said yourself that you have not put much effort and organic chemistry is pretty time consuming. Even if you understand everything really well there will still be a quite a bit to memorize once you get to reaction mechanisms. At least that was my experience.

It would be easier to recommend learning materials if we knew what you were having trouble with. My professor had recommended we purchase a chemistry model kit which we could use during class or on exams. She also required us to work through this book:https://www.amazon.com/dp/0030206936/?tag=pfamazon01-20 as a supplement to the textbook. It was kind of tedious but I'm sure it was helpful.

It's not too late to redeem yourself if you work hard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it would really depend on the way that your teacher weights the tests. I had a Statics teacher that had 2 tests for a total of 90% of the grade. Obviously, botching one of those would have been bad news. If the test is less than 30% of the total grade, I wouldn't sweat it. Work your tail off to make it right on the next test and you'll probably do well. Also, I have to go with the obvious recommendation of Schaum's outline for Organic Chemistry. They saved my rear in Strength of Materials and Circuits. It's only $11, and really helps with the problem solving aspect of the subject. Linky linky: http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?cat=39&isbn=0071745904

1. Can I still redeem myself in Organic Chemistry if I did poorly in my first exam?

Yes, it is possible to redeem yourself in Organic Chemistry even if you did poorly on your first exam. It is important to identify where you went wrong and work on improving your study habits and understanding of the subject matter. Seek help from your professor or a tutor to address any specific areas that you struggled with.

2. Is it too late to improve my grade in Organic Chemistry if I am already halfway through the semester?

No, it is never too late to improve your grade in Organic Chemistry. Take advantage of the remaining time in the semester to attend extra review sessions, seek help from your professor, and practice with past exams and quizzes. Consistent effort and dedication can lead to significant improvements in your grade.

3. I am struggling in Organic Chemistry, should I drop the class?

Dropping the class should be a last resort. Consider seeking help from your professor or a tutor first before making the decision to drop the class. With proper guidance and effort, it is possible to overcome your struggles and succeed in Organic Chemistry.

4. I have a busy schedule, how can I find time to study for Organic Chemistry?

Effective time management is crucial for success in any class. Start by creating a study schedule and setting aside dedicated study time for Organic Chemistry. Take advantage of small pockets of time throughout your day, such as during your commute or breaks between classes, to review notes or practice problems. Prioritize your time and avoid procrastination.

5. Can I still succeed in Organic Chemistry if I am not naturally good at science?

Yes, success in Organic Chemistry is not solely dependent on natural ability. With dedication, hard work, and effective study habits, anyone can succeed in the subject. Seek help from your professor or a tutor if needed and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification on difficult concepts.