Can I succeed in Computer Science 1 with no previous experience?

• Thread starter TheKracken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    comp sci
In summary, the person has no previous experience with programming or computer science and is planning to take a course this fall. They are also taking basic math and other classes. The course is required for their major in physics and has no prerequisites. The person is considering cutting down on units but is determined to do well in college. They are seeking advice on how to succeed in college, particularly in computer science. The advice given is to stay on top of the material, ask for help when needed, and enjoy the course. It is also suggested to create mini projects to practice programming and to study efficiently. The person is hoping to become proficient in computer science to potentially get a job to help pay for college and pursue research.
TheKracken
I have no previous experience with programming or any form of computer science. I am planning to take it this fall along with some basic math classes. I am thinking about taking this course because it is required for my major when I transfer (physics.) I am currently at a community college at the course has no pre reqs yet is the first comp sci class a CS major takes? Here is the class description, what do you think? Is it doable without previous experience.

CIS 231 - Fund Comp Science I 4 units
Presents the fundamentals of an engineering approach to software development. Intended for Computer Science Majors. Transfer: CSU; UC. Materials fee $5.00. (Formerly CIS31)

Also, I will be taking
art history- pre history 3 units
Algebra 2 (or possibly trig...I am taking assessment test tomorrow, super nervous) 5 units
Intro to engineering 1 unit (explains the different types and societies and such)
Nutrition 3 credits

For a total of 16 units...should I try to cut down on units? I am a 17 year old that graduated a year early due to testing out with the California equivalency exam. I was failing high school. I do extremely well on test (2220 SAT score, 91 ASVAB) This whole year I worked in customer service and realized what crap work actually is and need to take school seriously so I can complete my goals of getting a good job and working in science/ engineering. I have taken both AP physics B and a semester of AP Chem but I failed both due to just going to learn not pass (already had test so I didn't care)

Does anyone have any advice for me on succeeding in college. I am so excited to take classes and have never been excited about school...even though it is community college. Any advice would be very helpful! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey TheKracken.

My advice for you for computer science is primarily to keep on top of everything each week and don't let things catch up on you. This is one of the things that can happen and even if you slip for a week, things can be difficult because a lot of what is taught in tertiary education is cumulative: in other words, the next week builds on top of the previous weeks in terms of knowledge and understanding.

One other hint: don't be afraid to get help if you need it. If you need help, ask for it as quick as you can. You have to remember that for a majority of people, learning is a social activity and a lot of people that haven't been exposed to the material and the way of thinking are probably going to need time to adjust to that.

If you need help, ask someone whether it be your professor, someone on a forum like this, your classmates, or anyone that can give you a hand. Nobody should care if you don't know something and if they do, then they probably have some kind of psychological problem.

Also if you need help, make sure you prepare the question in advance to show that you have tried to answer it, and exactly where you are stuck: teachers like to see the students put in effort and if they see you have put in a genuine effort then they will be more willing to help you.

In terms of programming, I can give you a few pointers if you want but I think that will be for another post.

If you do the work and show some initiative you should be OK: also try and enjoy the course in some way and if things are not going well, know when to cut your losses and move on.

Good luck.

Thank you, and I will defiantly come to you for advice and help. Thank you very much.

This semester I am taking 15 units

Trigonometry - 4
Comp Sci I - 4
Intro to engineering - 1
Art History- Pre History- 3
History of West civilization - 3

Is this doable for a high school failure...I feel like I just need to kick into gear and get through it...but I need some advice. I would like to get all A's and transfer to a good university and make myself proud for once.

It should be doable. But the most important part here is that you study the right way. Studying in an inefficient way can be very counterproductive.

For computer science, I found that the best way to study is to invent mini projects for yourself and then program them. I'm into mathematics, so what I did was to make a program that could deal with set theory and stuff. It's not supposed to be an advanced program, just have some fun with it. It's the best way to learn.

If I take this Computer science and the next one should I be proficient enough to be useful in a lab or get a job to help pay for college? I am looking to do research and even if I do grunt programming work I would be happy for now.

1. Can I succeed in comp sci 1 if I have no prior coding experience?

Yes, success in comp sci 1 does not require prior coding experience. The course is designed to teach the fundamentals of computer science, so anyone with a strong interest and determination can succeed.

2. Do I need to be good at math to succeed in comp sci 1?

Basic math skills are helpful in understanding some concepts in computer science, but they are not a requirement for success. The course will cover any necessary math topics in relation to coding and provide resources for further understanding.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for comp sci 1?

The amount of time needed to succeed in comp sci 1 varies for each individual. However, it is recommended to dedicate at least 2-3 hours per week for studying and completing assignments. It is also important to practice consistently and review material regularly.

4. What if I struggle with a certain topic in comp sci 1?

It is natural to struggle with certain topics in computer science, especially for those with no prior experience. However, there are many resources available such as office hours, tutoring services, and online tutorials to help you understand the material better. It is important to seek help and not give up.

5. Are there any prerequisites for comp sci 1?

The only prerequisite for comp sci 1 is a strong interest in computer science and willingness to learn. However, some universities may have their own specific prerequisites, so it is important to check with your institution before enrolling in the course.