Can I twist the Connecting cable with the Connecting pipe?

• Thread starter Shervan360
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Wire
Shervan360
Hello,

I bought AC, so I need to connect a copper pipe and electrical wire from the indoor unit to the motor.
Can I twist the connecting cable(electrical wire) with the connecting pipe(copper pipe)?
Is it safe?

ac pipe.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-03 054431.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Safe? Not particularly.
Legal? Depends on your local building codes.
Passing the wire thru a wall or window as part of a permanent installation? Very likely against the National Electrical Code and the local code without meeting specific requirements and passing inspection.

Recommend you visit your local code enforcement office with photos, some sketches, and the documentation for the air conditioner.

Some things to consider:
Is the wire rated for outdoor use? Sun exposure, ozone, wet environment, local ambient temperature extremes. How will you stop rain from running along the wire and entering either the building or the equipment?

You would also need to pay attention to the temperature rating of the wire and the temperature of that pipe during operation. The pipe will not be at ambient temperature.

Doing it "right" is much cheaper than paying the insurance deductible from any damage!

Likes dlgoff, berkeman and Shervan360
Tom.G said:
Safe? Not particularly.
Legal? Depends on your local building codes.
Passing the wire thru a wall or window as part of a permanent installation? Very likely against the National Electrical Code and the local code without meeting specific requirements and passing inspection.

Recommend you visit your local code enforcement office with photos, some sketches, and the documentation for the air conditioner.

Some things to consider:
Is the wire rated for outdoor use? Sun exposure, ozone, wet environment, local ambient temperature extremes. How will you stop rain from running along the wire and entering either the building or the equipment?

You would also need to pay attention to the temperature rating of the wire and the temperature of that pipe during operation. The pipe will not be at ambient temperature.

Doing it "right" is much cheaper than paying the insurance deductible from any damage!
Thank you, Our home doesn't have insurance.

• Care
Likes Tom.G
I can be wrong, but my understanding is that part of the mounting procedure calls for creating a vacuum in the system. That's to make sure the R-whatever agent that will fill the inner volume is as pure as possible, and not mixed with the humid air that is in all tubes right now. At least that's how similar units (two different makes, but apparently the procedure was identical) were mounted at my house. Do you have a vacuum pump to do so? Because if not, it may be better to not install the AC by yourself.

Likes Shervan360
As I recall, the mains are supposed to be connected into a separately mounted IP-something level external wiring box which serves the inside-outside connection. To be done by a licenced electrician.

The wire towards the indoor unit can be bundled together with the pipes, but the connection within the units are to be made by the (licenced AC-)tech installing the units and the pipes anyway.

So, actually there is nothing what you should/can do there.

Shervan360 said:
Thank you, Our home doesn't have insurance.
Many wealthy people underwrite their own risks (t's the cheaper way, statistically) but do you have enough reserves in your account? Or could you just 'walk away' from a disaster?
Tom.G said:
Every wire / pipe 'goes through' a wall
A suitable sleeve or conduit would take care of this but the regs have to be followed or you could have to rip it all out. You seem to have paid for new equipment so why not get the right guy to do the installation?

Likes Shervan360