Can I Use a Lead Acid Charging Circuit After a Boost Converter for Solar Panels?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Hina Gohar
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
I am working on simulation and calculation of solar charge controller for lead acid battery..I simulated two solar panel in parallel along with switched capacitor dc-dc boost converter which is basically voltage doubler and it is working properly but now I need 12V on output of this boost converter to fed battery and dc load of 40W total..this boost converter every time provide double of input voltage while I need 12V constant for lead acid 12V and 100AH battery.One lead acid charging circuit is given in Boylestad Electronic Devices book my question is that can I use this circuit after my boost converter instead of load resistance..
 
Attachments
  • boost converter.gif
    boost converter.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 573
  • lead acid charging ckt.jpg
    lead acid charging ckt.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 455
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you voltage double parallel panels when you can simply use the panels in series?

To charge a 12V battery you will need closer to 13.8V with a negative temperature coefficient.

That 13.8V could be produced with a switching buck converter from two panels in series.
 
Baluncore said:
Why do you voltage double parallel panels when you can simply use the panels in series?

To charge a 12V battery you will need closer to 13.8V with a negative temperature coefficient.

That 13.8V could be produced with a switching buck converter from two panels in series.

In this circuit I have seen current is very low.What's the reason that in capacitor based circuit current is low while in conventional DC-DC converter current is high in which inductor used as main energy storage element.