Can I use only one substitution for integral?

In summary: So it's ok to make another substitution other than the one specified in the question? My teacher said otherwise, saying that it's not appropriate to make substitutions other than the one specified in the question. I want to get my facts right first before i get into another heated argument with her.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

By using the substitution t = tan x, find

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\cos^2 x+4\sin^2 x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well let tan x=t

[tex]\frac{dt}{dx}=\sec^2 x=\tan^2 x+1=1+t^2[/tex]

the integral then becomes

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}^2+4\frac{t}{\sqrt{1+t^2}}^2}[/tex]

which simplifies to

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+4t^2}[/tex]

Then from here i make another substitution **

let t= 1/2 tan b

dt/db = 1/2 sec^2 b

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+4(\frac{1}{2} \tan b)^2} \cdot \frac{1}{2}\sec^2 b db[/tex]

= b + constant

Back substitute

= [tex]\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1} (2t)[/tex] + constant

= [tex]\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}(2\tan x)[/tex] + constant

Am i correct? Especially this part ** where i made another substitution, is that valid? Or when the question specified the substitution, i have to stick that one substitution only?

Physics news on Phys.org

Looks okay to me.
If you remember that
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{1 + y^2} \, dy = \tan^{-1}(y)[/tex]
then [itex]y = 2t[/itex] immediately gives you
[tex]
\int \frac{dt}{1+4t^2} = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{dy}{1 + y^2} = \frac{1}{2} \tan^{-1}(y) = \frac{1}{2} \tan^{-1}(2 \tan x)
[/tex]

(Note that if this was a definite integral, you would have to be very careful with the integration boundaries in these subsitutions)

CompuChip said:
Looks okay to me.
If you remember that
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{1 + y^2} \, dy = \tan^{-1}(y)[/tex]
then [itex]y = 2t[/itex] immediately gives you
[tex]
\int \frac{dt}{1+4t^2} = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{dy}{1 + y^2} = \frac{1}{2} \tan^{-1}(y) = \frac{1}{2} \tan^{-1}(2 \tan x)
[/tex]

(Note that if this was a definite integral, you would have to be very careful with the integration boundaries in these subsitutions)

thanks Compuchip! So it's ok to make another substitution other than the one specified in the question? My teacher said otherwise, saying that it's not appropriate to make substitutions other than the one specified in the question. I want to get my facts right first before i get into another heated argument with her.

True, as for definite integrals, we will need to modify the limits in accordance with the substitution we make.

Personally, I think that if you can find a correct way to solve the question yourself (even if it is not exactly the way your teacher or anyone else has in mind) it is appropriate.

In this case, you could even argue that 2t -> t is not a full-fledged variable substitution but simply a rescaling, and the integral of 1/(1 + t²) is a standard integral which you can write down immediately whenever you encounter it (however you have proved that standard integral nicely here, which is not bad to do once in your life :) ).

CompuChip said:
Personally, I think that if you can find a correct way to solve the question yourself (even if it is not exactly the way your teacher or anyone else has in mind) it is appropriate.

In this case, you could even argue that 2t -> t is not a full-fledged variable substitution but simply a rescaling, and the integral of 1/(1 + t²) is a standard integral which you can write down immediately whenever you encounter it (however you have proved that standard integral nicely here, which is not bad to do once in your life :) ).

Thanks again, Compuchip.

1) Can I use any substitution method for integrals?

Yes, there are multiple substitution methods that can be used for integrals, such as u-substitution, trigonometric substitution, and inverse trigonometric substitution. The choice of method depends on the specific integral and its form.

2) Can I use only one substitution for a particular integral?

No, it is possible to use multiple substitutions for a single integral. In some cases, one substitution may simplify the integral, but another substitution may be necessary to fully evaluate it. It is important to consider all possible substitutions to find the most efficient method.

3) Can I always use u-substitution for integrals?

No, u-substitution is only applicable for integrals where the integrand can be expressed as a composite function, where the inner function and its derivative appear. It may not work for other types of integrals, such as trigonometric or exponential functions.

4) Is it necessary to use substitution for all integrals?

No, not all integrals require substitution. Some integrals can be evaluated using other methods, such as integration by parts or partial fractions. It is important to understand the various techniques and choose the most appropriate one for a given integral.

5) Can substitution always solve difficult integrals?

No, while substitution can simplify many integrals, there are some integrals that may require additional techniques or may not have a closed form solution. It is important to have a thorough understanding of integration methods and their limitations.