Can Karma Be Exploited Through Our Actions and Intentions?

• Thread starter Darken-Sol
  • Start date
In summary, this doesn't seem to violate the philosophy guidelines. However, we don't think it is a good idea to start a thread about karma here.
Darken-Sol
I believe in karma. Simply understood as cause and effect. If I behave with compassion and empathy towards people they seem to do like wise. However it works both ways. I can see my attitude being carried along negatively aswell. I rarely see the do good get good back kind of karma that we often hear about. Still, I am careful about how much suffering I inflict on others. For example if i bully a coworker and he goes home in a bad mood and takes it out on his wife, who in turn shakes her crying baby to death, i would be part of that. I never know how far my emotion will travel once I put in someone elses hands. I also do not know how it will compound along the way or if it will unhinge an unstable person later on. I guess my reward would be peace of mind. That is how I exploit karma, how about you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Darken-Sol said:
I believe in karma. Simply understood as cause and effect. If I behave with compassion and empathy towards people they seem to do like wise. However it works both ways. I can see my attitude being carried along negatively aswell. I rarely see the do good get good back kind of karma that we often hear about. Still, I am careful about how much suffering I inflict on others. For example if i bully a coworker and he goes home in a bad mood and takes it out on his wife, who in turn shakes her crying baby to death, i would be part of that. I never know how far my emotion will travel once I put in someone elses hands. I also do not know how it will compound along the way or if it will unhinge an unstable person later on. I guess my reward would be peace of mind. That is how I exploit karma, how about you?

I don't think this is in line with the philosophy section guidelines https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=459350

i've read the rules and this doesn't seem to violate any. i am simply seeking a few points of view on the subject and its application in daily life. if you have none, could you at the very least provide references to material on the topic? perhaps a sociology paper or book on cause and effect, even your own subjective experiences would be fine. we don't have to lable it karma if it causes discomfort for people, i just felt it was a term which everyone knows and has a generic understanding of.

I must first clarify that the concept of karma is not a scientifically proven theory. It is a belief rooted in various religious and spiritual traditions. However, from a psychological perspective, it can be seen as a way of understanding human behavior and its consequences.

In terms of exploiting karma, it is important to understand that karma is not a tool or a force that can be manipulated for personal gain. It is simply a belief that our actions and intentions have consequences, whether positive or negative. Therefore, it is not about exploiting karma, but rather being mindful of our actions and their potential impact on others.

In the example provided, it is important to recognize that the chain of events and consequences is not solely the responsibility of the initial action (bullying a coworker). While it is true that our actions can have a ripple effect, it is also important to consider the individual responsibility and agency of each person involved. Karma is not a way to absolve oneself of responsibility or justify harmful actions.

In terms of using karma as a guiding principle, it is important to approach it with a sense of empathy and compassion towards others. This means being mindful of our intentions and actions, and striving to create positive ripple effects rather than negative ones. It is also important to recognize that karma is not a guarantee of a specific outcome, but rather a belief that our actions and intentions can influence the world around us.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer on how to exploit karma. However, I can encourage a thoughtful and mindful approach to our actions and their potential impact on others, with the understanding that karma is a belief and not a proven scientific concept.

Related to Can Karma Be Exploited Through Our Actions and Intentions?

1. How does karma work?

Karma is the belief that one's actions and intentions in life will influence their future experiences and circumstances. It is based on the concept of cause and effect, where positive actions and intentions will lead to positive outcomes, and negative actions and intentions will lead to negative outcomes.

2. Can karma be manipulated or exploited?

Karma cannot be manipulated or exploited in the traditional sense. It is not a system that can be controlled or used for personal gain. However, one can choose to make positive actions and intentions to create good karma and attract positive outcomes in life.

3. Is there a way to speed up the effects of karma?

Karma operates on its own timeline and cannot be rushed. However, by consistently making good choices and taking positive actions, one can accumulate good karma and potentially see the effects of it sooner rather than later.

4. Can bad karma be reversed or erased?

While it is not possible to completely erase or reverse bad karma, one can work towards improving their actions and intentions to create better karma in the future. This can help balance out the negative effects of past actions and lead to more positive outcomes in the future.

5. Is karma a religious belief?

Karma is a concept found in various religions and philosophies, including Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. However, it is not tied to any one specific religion and can be seen as a universal principle of cause and effect. It is up to the individual to decide if they believe in karma and how it applies to their life.