Can light accelerate in vacuum?

In summary, photons do not accelerate in a vacuum, as light has a constant speed of c regardless of the presence of gravity or non-inertial coordinates. However, the direction of light can be changed by gravity or non-inertial coordinates, which may give the appearance of acceleration in certain cases.
Isaac0427 said:
I think these answers may be confusing to the OP. Considering the prefix (B) on the thread, I would assume the question is "Can you apply a force that would increase the speed of a photon?" Also keeping in mind the prefix, I think we can assume inertial coordinates to answer this question.
I understand the assumption, but if it is correct, then answering the question literally and exclusively in those terms is presumptuous at best, and then a responsible reply should make it plain to the questioner that that was in fact the presumption, plus the facts that instead of accelerating, the colour of the photon would change, and that gravitational refraction could involve acceleration in a less naive sense.

Science news on Phys.org
Jon Richfield said:
Dave, that was not my wording, but the wording of the question. I interpreted it as meaning "can photons undergo acceleration".

it's you answer that is incorrect

Jon Richfield said:
" Light being emitted from a source in vacuum, DO photons accelerate ?"
the answer emphatically is "Yes".

your response ... the answer emphatically is "Yes"

is totally incorrect ... photons aka EM radiation is emitted AT THE speed of light

PeterDonis said:
No, the answer is "it depends on how you define acceleration, and if you define it as coordinate acceleration, it depends on the coordinates you choose". But no actual physics can depend on the coordinates you choose. So the only version of the question that is asking about actual physics, as opposed to just your choice of coordinates, is the version that asks whether light rays in vacuum can have path curvature. And the answer to that question emphatically is "No".
Not so, but far, far otherwise. Any physics that can have "physical" effects is "real" physics, or what I assume you mean by "actual physics". It is what I might call "physics with measurable implications". I you know of a better contrary definition, please let's have it.

Now, consider a particular beam of light as a photon stream in a (gedanken-) experimental setup in a vacuum in a zero gravitational gradient. If you please, you could choose convenient values for polarisation, frequency etc.
I am not much fashed with details as long as it is all nicely controlled and consistent.
The photons simply pass from the source to the target at a conveniently large distance. For as long as we like, our target will register photons that have traversed the same distance in the same time along the same trajectory and with the same frequency/energy etc. For all observers, though they might disagree about the values of the parameters, they all would agree that the parameters would remain constant and consistent.
Now (still in vacuum, and with no other parametric changes, remember!) we start messing about with gravitationally non-trivial masses that alter the gravitational gradients, and accordingly at least certain classes of the measurements that our target records.
We still do not find c to vary (pace Shapiro of course, which I reckon could be regarded as a coordinate effect anyway, but suit yourself) but you certainly could change the angle, location, and time of arrival of your photons, any of which changes would involve acceleration at constant speed, though not constant velocity.
If our lab equipment included suitably disposed black holes (or possibly pulsars would do if the budget wouldn't stretch to black holes) we even could have photons arriving in the back of our target, 180 degrees out of phase with other photons in the same stream.

And that is what our instruments would show. That is physics actual enough for me.
And acceleration actual enough too.
The answer remains emphatically yes, no matter how you jiggle your definitions in actual physics.

davenn said:
it's you answer that is incorrect
your response ... the answer emphatically is "Yes"

is totally incorrect ... photons aka EM radiation is emitted AT THE speed of light
Dave, I am sure we must be at cross purposes. I never was even speaking of emission, but of whether photons in free passage through otherwise empty space, under the influence of gravitational gradients could undergo acceleration, which as far as I can tell, a lot of folks here are stridently denying.

To which indeed, the answer emphatically is "Yes", then now, and still.

Jon Richfield said:
We still do not find c to vary
The constant c doesn't vary per definition. But the coordinate speed of a light beam in non-inertial coordinates can be different from c (see Shapiro delay).

Jon Richfield said:
any of which changes would involve acceleration at constant speed, though not constant velocity.
Coordinate acceleration of light in non-inertial coordinates can involve direction and speed changes.

A.T. said:
The constant c doesn't vary per definition. But the coordinate speed of a light beam in non-inertial coordinates can be different from c (see Shapiro delay).Coordinate acceleration of light in non-inertial coordinates can involve direction and speed changes.
From that point of view, what is your point?
Are you denying the acceleration of light?
Or denying that it is real, or meaningful, or what?
If OTOH you are asserting the acceleration, welcome to the club, but why tell me? It is a lot of other guys denying it.

Jon Richfield said:
Are you denying the acceleration of light?
Light can have coordinate acceleration, but no proper acceleration.

A.T. said:
Light can have coordinate acceleration, but no proper acceleration.
Come back and tell us when you can show that light (photons if you like!) can have no physically measurable acceleration -- no acceleration with consequences observable in principle (though not necessarily identical in value) to sufficiently equipped observers in every reference frame. :rolleyes:
As long as that remains true, it hardly matters whether you call it proper or not. :biggrin:

Stop discussing this in this [B]-thread please. We have the other one for that.

Note that you just keep using different meanings of "acceleration", which lead to different results - obviously. I don't understand why that leads to those long discussions.

mfb said:
Stop discussing this in this [B]-thread please. We have the other one for that.

Note that you just keep using different meanings of "acceleration", which lead to different results - obviously. I don't understand why that leads to those long discussions.
That is what I have been saying. The answer to the OP's question is no, nothing going at c, the speed of light in a vacuum, can be accelerated. If he wanted to know all the technicalities with non-inertial frames of reference and curved space in which you have to generalize your answers, he would have asked that, put an (I) or (A) prefix on the thread, or put this in the relativity forum. Some people come here for basic answers in layman's terms and not a lecture on relativity (which was me when I first started). I think these answers are doing nothing but confusing the OP.

Jon Richfield said:
Any physics that can have "physical" effects is "real" physics, or what I assume you mean by "actual physics". It is what I might call "physics with measurable implications".

If you mean that there are measurable implications of the effects of gravity on light in vacuum, yes, there are. So if the question had been "does gravity have a measurable effect on light", then the answer would indeed emphatically be "yes".

But that wasn't the question. The question was "can light in vacuum accelerate?" The answer to that question is not emphatically "yes" because it's an ill-posed question. It depends on how we interpret "acceleration". And the only interpretation that makes "acceleration" equivalent to "measurable effects of gravity on light in vacuum" is a coordinate-dependent one. Your description makes that clear; you have to use terms like "speed", "velocity", etc. in order to describe what's going on. That's a coordinate-dependent interpretation; the terms you're using don't even have meaning in the absence of coordinates.

By contrast, I can describe the same effects without using the term "acceleration" (or the terms "speed" or "velocity") at all. Light in vacuum travels on null geodesics of spacetime; gravity curves the spacetime geometry. That accounts for all observed effects, solely in terms of coordinate-independent invariants; I don't even have to choose any coordinates at all to describe what's going on.

Jon Richfield said:
no matter how you jiggle your definitions in actual physics.

You're the one that's trying to jiggle definitions; you're trying to argue that "acceleration of light in vacuum" in the sense you're using the term means something absolute when it doesn't; it only has meaning in a coordinate-dependent sense. All of the light rays you're talking about have zero proper acceleration, i.e., zero path curvature. And "proper acceleration" is the only coordinate-independent, invariant, absolute meaning of the term "acceleration". So in the only absolute sense of the term "acceleration", light in a vacuum does not accelerate, and the answer to the question emphatically is "no", as I said.

The question has been beaten enough. Thread closed.

Likes davenn
<h2>1. Can light accelerate in vacuum?</h2><p>Yes, light can accelerate in a vacuum. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and cannot be exceeded. However, light can still be affected by gravity, causing it to accelerate.</p><h2>2. How fast does light travel in a vacuum?</h2><p>The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. This is the fastest speed possible and is a fundamental constant in the universe.</p><h2>3. Why can't anything travel faster than the speed of light?</h2><p>According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating. Therefore, it is impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light.</p><h2>4. Is there a medium in which light can travel faster than in a vacuum?</h2><p>No, the speed of light in a vacuum is the fastest possible speed for any type of energy or information to travel. In other mediums, such as air or water, light can travel at slower speeds due to interactions with particles in the medium.</p><h2>5. How does the speed of light in a vacuum affect our understanding of the universe?</h2><p>The constant speed of light in a vacuum is a fundamental principle in physics and has led to many important discoveries and theories, such as special and general relativity. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, including the behavior of objects in space and the concept of time dilation.</p>

1. Can light accelerate in vacuum?

Yes, light can accelerate in a vacuum. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and cannot be exceeded. However, light can still be affected by gravity, causing it to accelerate.

2. How fast does light travel in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. This is the fastest speed possible and is a fundamental constant in the universe.

3. Why can't anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating. Therefore, it is impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light.

4. Is there a medium in which light can travel faster than in a vacuum?

No, the speed of light in a vacuum is the fastest possible speed for any type of energy or information to travel. In other mediums, such as air or water, light can travel at slower speeds due to interactions with particles in the medium.

5. How does the speed of light in a vacuum affect our understanding of the universe?

The constant speed of light in a vacuum is a fundamental principle in physics and has led to many important discoveries and theories, such as special and general relativity. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, including the behavior of objects in space and the concept of time dilation.