Can low Resistance affect the torque output of an electrical motor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
dajordanator
I've had a side project in mind for a while involving motorized Rollerblade wheels, however I need to figure out a motor size that would give me the needed torque to actually accelerate 250lbs up to 25mph. I realize even a 5hp electric motor is large but I was wondering if ohms have any affect on the potential torque maximum of the engine or if it winds up being limited more due to size and current, rather than the ease of the electricity's flow.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Resistance in the electrics shouldn't be a major concern (apart from thermal considerations maybe).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dajordanator
mfb said:
Resistance in the electrics shouldn't be a major concern (apart from thermal considerations maybe).
Ok, I just didn't know if I should invest a lot of time into looking into that as a potential way of cutting motor size or not. thank you
 
dajordanator said:
I've had a side project in mind for a while involving motorized Rollerblade wheels, however I need to figure out a motor size that would give me the needed torque to actually accelerate 250lbs up to 25mph. I realize even a 5hp electric motor is large but I was wondering if ohms have any affect on the potential torque maximum of the engine or if it winds up being limited more due to size and current, rather than the ease of the electricity's flow.
Have you looked at electric skateboards that come close to meeting your specs of speed? That would be the best place to start.