Can Mathematica Produce High-Quality Plots of Hermite Gaussian Polynomials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to plot Hermite Gaussian polynomials on Mathematica and the dissatisfaction with the resulting crude plot. The solution of adding PlotPoints and adjusting ImageResolution is suggested, but it is noted that creating high-quality graphics can be a time-consuming process.
hangainlover

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,

I was trying to plot (density plot and 3d plot) Hermite Gaussian polynomials on Mathematica hoping the plot will be good enough to show patterns such as this link :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Hermite-gaussian.png/800px-Hermite-gaussian.png

Yet, my plot on mathematica is very crude.

It follows the pattern so the function itself must be fine

I doubt this is the best I can do with mathematica..

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I plotted it and the image is nowhere near what I want..

Attachments

• hermite gaussian.nb
    81.4 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
Attached file viewable for people with mathematica access.

The kinds of plots in the wikimedia pic are hi-res projections - where the greyscale "whiteness" depends on the density in each area element. (Divides the volume into cubic prisms.)

Try adding
PlotPoints -> 200
to your DensityPlot and see if that provides the quality you are looking for.

When using Export you might also look at the effect of ImageResolution.

A general rule you might keep in mind that seems to be proven again and again.

If it takes about x time to get the mathematics mostly correct then it can often take between 2x and 10x MORE time to get the graphics to sort of look like the quality that desktop publishing has convinced everyone that they should be able to produce on their own and to get the graphics to look exactly like what you want can often take up to Infinityx more time.

Related to Can Mathematica Produce High-Quality Plots of Hermite Gaussian Polynomials?

What are fine function plot images?

Fine function plot images are graphical representations of mathematical functions that are created with high precision and detail. They are typically used to visualize complex mathematical relationships and patterns.

How are fine function plot images created?

Fine function plot images are created using specialized software or programming languages such as MATLAB or Python. The software uses mathematical algorithms to calculate and plot the function, with the level of detail and precision determined by the user.

What is the purpose of fine function plot images?

The purpose of fine function plot images is to provide a visual representation of mathematical functions that may be difficult to understand through equations alone. They can also be used for analysis and prediction in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common features of fine function plot images?

Common features of fine function plot images include axes, labels, and a legend for reference. They may also include grid lines or shading to aid in visual interpretation. Some software also allows for customization of colors and line styles.

Are there any limitations to fine function plot images?

While fine function plot images can provide valuable insights, they also have limitations. They are only as accurate as the mathematical function used to create them, and may not be able to accurately represent functions with infinite or undefined values. They also rely on the user's understanding and interpretation of the function being plotted.