Can Mathematica Produce High-Quality Plots of Hermite Gaussian Polynomials?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
hangainlover
Messages
77
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hello everyone,

I was trying to plot (density plot and 3d plot) Hermite Gaussian polynomials on Mathematica hoping the plot will be good enough to show patterns such as this link :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Hermite-gaussian.png/800px-Hermite-gaussian.png

Yet, my plot on mathematica is very crude.

It follows the pattern so the function itself must be fine

I doubt this is the best I can do with mathematica..



Homework Equations



None

The Attempt at a Solution



I plotted it and the image is nowhere near what I want..
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Attached file viewable for people with mathematica access.

The kinds of plots in the wikimedia pic are hi-res projections - where the greyscale "whiteness" depends on the density in each area element. (Divides the volume into cubic prisms.)
 
Try adding
PlotPoints -> 200
to your DensityPlot and see if that provides the quality you are looking for.

When using Export you might also look at the effect of ImageResolution.

A general rule you might keep in mind that seems to be proven again and again.

If it takes about x time to get the mathematics mostly correct then it can often take between 2x and 10x MORE time to get the graphics to sort of look like the quality that desktop publishing has convinced everyone that they should be able to produce on their own and to get the graphics to look exactly like what you want can often take up to Infinityx more time.