Can motion be turned into matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of turning motion into matter and the relationship between energy and gravity. It also mentions the role of radiation in this process. The answer provided suggests that while motion itself cannot turn into matter, radiation can be released when moving objects collide and a reverse process is also possible. The relevant sciences for understanding this concept are special relativity, general relativity, and quantum mechanics.
andreasdagen
Im wondering if motion can be turned into matter, since I heard that motion is like stored energy.
Im not in any physics classes so I don't really know anything about the subject.

edit: I am also wondering if this is true:
Energy is effected by gravity, and movement is stored energy.
So if a object is moving fast then its more effected by gravity.

Thanks for reading, and I am sorry if I am not suposed to take two different questions in one topic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person
Not so sure

Motion into matter? The usual definition for motion involves change in position over time but doesn't say anything about what is moving. Ergo, motion per se doesn't become matter.

It's more accurate to say that radiation is released when moving material objects collide with each other, and that a reverse process is also possible.

Position, velocity, force, mass, and energy are really concepts, not physical things.

With this in mind, the answer the OP was given is correct. The relevant sciences are special relativity, general relativity, and quantum mechanics. All are difficult mathematically, but general-reader introductions to them are in print.

Last edited:

1. Can motion be turned into matter?

According to the theory of relativity, matter and energy are interchangeable. This means that under certain conditions, motion (energy) can be turned into matter and vice versa.

2. How can motion be turned into matter?

Motion can be turned into matter through a process known as pair production. This occurs when a high energy photon (light particle) interacts with a nucleus, producing a particle and its antiparticle. These particles are considered matter because they have mass.

3. What are the conditions necessary for motion to be turned into matter?

In order for motion to be turned into matter, the energy of the motion must be high enough to produce the necessary amount of mass. This requires a high energy photon or particle and a nucleus to interact with.

4. Can humans turn their own motion into matter?

No, humans do not have the ability to turn their own motion into matter. The amount of energy required to produce a significant amount of matter is far beyond what humans are capable of producing.

5. Is motion being turned into matter a common occurrence?

No, motion being turned into matter is not a common occurrence in our everyday lives. It typically only occurs in extreme conditions, such as in particle accelerators or during astronomical events like gamma ray bursts.