Decomposition of Rotation into Forward Motion and Turn Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of rotation motion in Alice software by combining two motions: moving forward and turning left at specific rates. The question of whether there is a formula for circular motion/velocity is raised, with the response that the relationship between the two motions is not a simple one and depends on the radius of the circle. It is suggested to use small time steps for a more accurate simulation.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, just curious:
I was able to simulate rotation motion in Alice software , as a combination of two motions:
1)Moving forward
2)Turning left

(I can choose the rate at which each of these happens , in terms of meters and revolutions respectively.)

Done simultaneously, at just the right rate of each. I guess this shows that circular motion can be described by a combination of moving left and moving forward, where the rates of the two motions are in the right range each.
But I am trying to make this more precise :Is there an actual formula for circular motion/velocity
relating the two types of motions? I mean, if I were to move forward at, say, 2meters/sec, how fast should
I be moving left for the resulting motion to describe a rotation? I am too rusty on the formulas of angular velocity/acceleration, etc. but I don't have a clue otherwise.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, that is the wrong relationship between the forward motion and the left motion. Suppose Vf is the forward velocity and Vl is the left velocity. Then the derivative of Vl is proportional to Vf. This is the derivative in an instantaneously fixed coordinate system. A circle would start out tangential to the velocity vector and start to accelerate to the left. If you are calculating motion with a fixed time step, then there is a fixed ratio between Vf and Vl that depends on the radius of the circle. You would need to proceed in time steps that are sufficiently small that the path of steps is close enough to a circle for your purposes.

Thanks, FactChecker.

Related to Decomposition of Rotation into Forward Motion and Turn Motion

1. What is the decomposition of rotation into forward motion and turn motion?

The decomposition of rotation into forward motion and turn motion is a mathematical process that breaks down a rotational movement into its component parts of linear or forward motion and angular or turn motion. It allows for a more detailed analysis of the motion and can be useful in studying complex movements in physics and engineering.

2. How is the decomposition of rotation into forward motion and turn motion calculated?

The decomposition of rotation into forward motion and turn motion is calculated using vector analysis. It involves finding the direction and magnitude of the linear or forward motion and the direction and magnitude of the angular or turn motion, and then combining them to get the overall motion.

3. What is the difference between forward motion and turn motion?

Forward motion is the linear movement of an object in a straight line, while turn motion is the rotational movement of an object around a fixed axis. In other words, forward motion is movement in a specific direction, while turn motion is movement around a specific point.

4. Why is it important to decompose rotation into forward motion and turn motion?

The decomposition of rotation into forward motion and turn motion allows for a more detailed analysis of complex movements. It can help in understanding the forces and energy involved in a rotational movement and can be useful in designing and optimizing machines and structures.

5. Can the decomposition of rotation into forward motion and turn motion be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the decomposition of rotation into forward motion and turn motion can be applied to real-world situations. It is commonly used in engineering, robotics, and physics to analyze and design complex movements and systems. It is also used in sports science to study the movements of athletes and improve their performance.