Can my wrists handle being an engineer?

• Other
  • Thread starter plaidwandering
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: You can also dictate into a text document and then have it transcribed.I also know there are speech to text programs, but I'm not sure how well they work with technical writing, coding, or formulas, or whether you would drive nearby folks in your cubicle farm crazy talking to the computer all the time.I don't think it would bother anyone, as long as you are aware of how it works and aren't talking all the time.In summary, Due to an accident that tore up both my TFCCs and other damage, both my wrists are shot. They got cleaned up, but are just all frayed now and not much to do about it. I had been planning to go into engineering,
plaidwandering
Due to an accident that tore up both my TFCCs and other damage, both my wrists are shot. They got cleaned up, but are just all frayed now and not much to do about it.

Extended computer time causes me pain, especially when it includes a lot of shift/alt/ctrl with other key combos, such as for command short cuts or camel case, or mouse wheel+movement at the same time.

I had been planning to go into engineering, with the idea being I would decide which specific major during freshman physics. I've always enjoyed my math and science classes, so much so that they felt like little triumphs to figure out problems rather than a chore.

I have played with an old autocad, and while I can do things with it, I have to go really slow and do it carefully to avoid strain - so probably not fast enough for an employer to like. I also know there are speech to text programs, but I'm not sure how well they work with technical writing, coding, or formulas, or whether you would drive nearby folks in your cubicle farm crazy talking to the computer all the time.

Just typing this post took me five times longer than it would have before...

What do you guys think, with these limitations is engineering something I can still find a place in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gosh, that's a tough break. I'd like to encourage you but I'm having a hard time seeing how you could keep up in today's world. I hope I'm overlooking some area of engineering that others will be able to point out but what with damn near EVERYTHING being computerized these days it's hard to see how. Even if you don't need to do any computer programming, there will be report writing and if you're not using a computer for programming, you're likely to need it for some sort of design software. If you are as slow with computers as you indicate, it's going to be tough.

Again, I hope I'm overlooking something. Good luck.

Talk to an occupational health expert. There may be specially designed keyboards or mice which will help.

Likes billy_joule and CalcNerd
plaidwandering said:
I also know there are speech to text programs, but I'm not sure how well they work with technical writing, coding, or formulas,

Have you looked into Dragon Voice Recognition software? I had a friend who struggled with carpal tunnel syndrome, and was able to use it to help him in his EE design and CAD work...

http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm

:smile:

Likes CalcNerd
Thank you,

That is great to hear that is is up to such tasks.

Do you know if it bothers his coworkers? I'd love to have an office where I could close the door some day, but I'm realistic that a lot of engineering happens in cubicles.

plaidwandering said:
Do you know if it bothers his coworkers? I'd love to have an office where I could close the door some day, but I'm realistic that a lot of engineering happens in cubicles.
This was a while back, but using a headset with microphone keeps your speaking fairly quiet.

1. Can wrist injuries affect my ability to be an engineer?

Yes, wrist injuries can definitely affect your ability to be an engineer. The role of an engineer often involves repetitive motions and fine motor skills, which can put strain on the wrists. Injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis, and sprains can limit your ability to perform these tasks effectively.

2. Should I be concerned about developing wrist pain as an engineer?

As with any profession that involves repetitive or strenuous motions, there is a risk of developing wrist pain as an engineer. It is important to practice proper ergonomics, take breaks to stretch and rest your wrists, and seek medical attention if you experience persistent pain or discomfort.

3. Are there specific exercises I can do to prevent wrist injuries as an engineer?

Yes, there are several exercises you can do to help prevent wrist injuries as an engineer. These include wrist stretches, wrist rotations, and grip strengthening exercises. It is important to consult with a physical therapist or occupational therapist for guidance on the proper exercises for your specific needs.

4. Can using ergonomic equipment help prevent wrist injuries?

Yes, using ergonomic equipment can definitely help prevent wrist injuries. This includes items such as an ergonomic keyboard and mouse, wrist rests, and an adjustable desk and chair. These tools can help reduce strain on your wrists and promote proper posture while working.

5. If I have a pre-existing wrist injury, can I still become an engineer?

Having a pre-existing wrist injury does not necessarily mean you cannot become an engineer. It is important to consult with a medical professional and discuss any accommodations or modifications that may be necessary for you to perform your job duties effectively. With proper care and precautions, it is possible to have a successful career as an engineer with a pre-existing wrist injury.