Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can plasma create current in an inductor?

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    Right, I know that plasma has a very high charge because of electrons doing stuff and that the plasma can be contained and controlled using an electromagnet, but can it be put the other way round? Say I have a chamber with plasma in it, generated by whatever, and I put an inductor outside the chamber within the magnetic field generated by the plasma, could the magnetic field cause electrons to flow and an electrical current to be generated?
    Thanks
    Any help would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Most plasmas are uncharged. They have an equal number of positive and negative charges.
    Plasmas with variable current flow can be used for induction, sure.

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3
    Yes, you can generate a current this way. Moreover, experimental fusion devices called tokamaks use this method to generate a toroidal current through a plasma for stability purposes. A competing technology, called a stellarator, does not use an inductively generated current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook