Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I find Creep Deformation data?

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am developing an analytical approach to determine the creep constants of a constitutive model for nickel-base superalloys.

I require creep strain versus time data to valid my approach.

I've searched through literature and have found very little usable data.

I need creep strain versus time data at 3 stress levels for 3 temperatures (9 tests).

Does anyone know where I could obtain this type of data?

Best Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2
    Welcome to Physics Forums, StewartC

The manufacturers of the alloys?

You didn't mention specifically what alloys they are.

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3
    Any poly-crystalline nickel-base superalloy while do. I'm trying to develop a generalized approach which would work for most Ni-base superalloys (tertiary creep dominant materials).

In particular, I've been looking at Hastelloy X, Inconel 617, and Nimonic 80A? (I have some existing data for these materials but not enough for a full study)

5. Jul 26, 2011 #4
    Does this help?

Attached Files:

• Ni1.jpg
      Ni1.jpg
      File size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
    • Ni2.jpg
      Ni2.jpg
      File size:
      25.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Jul 26, 2011 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Nice summary here of the alloys mentioned.
    http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~barthc2/EP/Other/Archive%20PDF%20Files/report11-28.pdf [Broken]

Code (Text):
                  C      Fe     Ni    Cr    Co    Ti    Al    Mo    others
    Hasteloy X   0.07   18.0   bal   22.0  12.5    -     -    9.0   0.6W
    Inconel 617  0.07    -     bal   19.5   -     0.4   1.0   9.0   -
    Nimonic 80A  0.08    -     bal   12.0   -     2.2   1.4    -    -  
    Hasteloy X is Ni-Cr-Fe-Co, while Inconel 617 is Ni-Cr-Mo and Nimonic 80 is Ni-Cr with 2nd phase particles if Ti and Al (moreso than 617).

There is an ASM reference book entitled, Atlas of Creep and Stress-Rupture Curves, which may have some plotted curves.
    http://hts.asminternational.org/portal/site/www/AsmStore/ProductDetails/?vgnextoid=ad13e7c40209e110VgnVCM100000701e010aRCRD [Broken]

and this might have some data
    http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/contract/cr6824/cr6824.pdf

and possibly in this
    www.iaea.org/inisnkm/nkm/aws/htgr/fulltext/iwggcr4_16.pdf

and on can browse this book:
    Superalloys: a technical guide
    By Matthew J. Donachie, Stephen James Donachie
    http://books.google.com/books?id=vjCJ5pI1QpkC

Otherwise, there are several journals on metals, such as Metallurgical Transactions

Meanwhile, I look to see what I have on these particular alloys

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jul 28, 2011 #6
    Astronuc,

Thank you for finding some relevant information.

The first paper has some background information on the materials.

The ASM atlas of creep I've already checked and didn't find much useful data.

The NRC Paper has alot of good information.

I will look in the library for the "Superalloys" book.

I'm still search for more strain vs time curves.

Thanks

8. Aug 1, 2011 #7
    Superalloys are only partially standard. As compared with the inertia of mechanical activities, they're relatively young, so each supplier has its own names and properties. I suggest to get data from the suppliers.

A model: you want to have some equation and let it fit the experimental curve, with a set of parameters for each alloy, to interpolate the behaviour at intermediate temperature and stress, is that it? Because if someone wanted to predict the behaviour from the chemical composition, for instance, I doubt it can be done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook