Logarithm Basics: Evaluating, Solving & Derivatives - Answers Checked!

• Thread starter m0286
  • Start date
In summary, it is acceptable to have someone check your answers for accuracy and feedback. It is important to seek help from a knowledgeable source and cross-check their feedback. As long as you are not plagiarizing or cheating, there is no issue with having someone check your answers. The frequency of having your answers checked can vary depending on personal learning style and the difficulty of the material.
m0286
From your guys help, THANKS I was able to understand questions better I was hoping someone would check my answers:

for : evaluate the following logarithms:
log22^log55 I got:
log22=2^1 log55=5^1
=1 =1
therefore 1^1=1 is that correct?

Another one: solve the following logarithm equation:
log25=log2(x+32)-log2x
I got:
log25=log2(x+32)-log2x
5=log2 (x+32)/x
x+32=(5)(x)
x+32-5x
4x-32=0
x-8
therefore x=8... is that right?

Next: Determine the deriviative of the following functions:
d) y=2x^3 e^4x
well I figured out how to do the e^4x part it would be: 4e^4x so would the derivative be 6x^2 4e^4x?

e.) determine the derivative:
y=sq root(x^3+e^-x +5) I got:...
y=(x^3 + e^-x + 5)^1/2
dy/dx= 1/2 (x^3 + e^-x + 5)^-1/2 (3x^2-1e^-x) Now I am stuck... Is what I have right soo farr and if so can someone help me to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
m0286 said:
From your guys help, THANKS I was able to understand questions better I was hoping someone would check my answers:

for : evaluate the following logarithms:
log22^log55 I got:
log22=2^1 log55=5^1
=1 =1
therefore 1^1=1 is that correct?

Correct, but your reasoning isn't right.

[tex] log_22 = 1,\ not \ 2^1. [/tex]
[tex]2^{log_22} = 2[/tex] because [itex] log_22 = 1[/tex]

Another one: solve the following logarithm equation:
log25=log2(x+32)-log2x
I got:
log25=log2(x+32)-log2x
5=log2 (x+32)/x
x+32=(5)(x)
x+32-5x
4x-32=0
x-8
therefore x=8... is that right?

Hard to read your logs, I'm interpreting it as:

[tex]log_25 = log_2(x+32)-log_2x [/tex] which simplifies to
[tex] log_25 = log_2\left(\frac{x+32}{x}\right)[/tex]

I'm not sure what you did here, but what your supposed to do is exponentiate both sides with base 2.

[tex] 2^{log_25} = 2^{log_2\left(\frac{x+32}{x}\right)}[/tex] and you'll see the log's cancel out and you get:

[tex] 5 = \frac{x+32}{x} [/tex] which you did get.

From there use some algebra to solve for x, you did correctly.

Next: Determine the deriviative of the following functions:
d) y=2x^3 e^4x
well I figured out how to do the e^4x part it would be: 4e^4x so would the derivative be 6x^2 4e^4x?

Don't forget the product rule. You differentiated each term correctly though.
e.) determine the derivative:
y=sq root(x^3+e^-x +5) I got:...
y=(x^3 + e^-x + 5)^1/2
dy/dx= 1/2 (x^3 + e^-x + 5)^-1/2 (3x^2-1e^-x) Now I am stuck... Is what I have right soo farr and if so can someone help me to continue.

This is all correct except you differentiated [itex] \frac{1}{e^x} [/tex] Incorrectly. Choose u = e^x and apply the chain rule.

Last edited:

Great job on evaluating and solving the logarithms! Your answers are correct.

For the derivative of y=2x^3 e^4x, you are correct that the derivative of e^4x is 4e^4x. However, for the rest of the function, you need to use the product rule. The derivative would be 2(3x^2)(e^4x) + 2x^3(4e^4x) = 6x^2e^4x + 8x^3e^4x, or factoring out the common term of 2x^3e^4x, you could also write it as 2x^3e^4x(3+4x).

For the derivative of y=sq root(x^3+e^-x +5), you are also on the right track. Your derivative is correct so far, but you can simplify it further by using the chain rule. The derivative would be 1/2 (x^3 + e^-x + 5)^-1/2 (3x^2 - e^-x). Remember that the derivative of e^-x is -e^-x. So the final answer would be 1/2 (x^3 + e^-x + 5)^-1/2 (3x^2 + e^-x). Great job on understanding the concepts and applying them correctly! Keep up the good work.

1. Can someone really check my answers for me?

Yes, there are many resources available online where you can submit your answers for review by other individuals who are knowledgeable in the subject. You can also ask a teacher or tutor for help with checking your answers.

2. Is it okay to have someone check my answers?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to have someone check your answers. In fact, it can be a helpful learning tool to have someone review your work and provide feedback on areas where you may need improvement.

3. How do I know if the person checking my answers is giving me correct feedback?

It is important to seek help from someone who is knowledgeable in the subject and has a good understanding of the material. You can also cross-check their feedback with other sources, such as textbooks or online resources, to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I get in trouble for having someone check my answers?

No, as long as you are not plagiarizing or cheating, there is nothing wrong with seeking help from someone to check your answers. In fact, it shows that you are taking responsibility for your learning and seeking ways to improve.

5. How often should I have someone check my answers?

This can vary depending on your personal learning style and the difficulty of the material. Some individuals may benefit from having their answers checked more frequently, while others may only need occasional review. It is important to find a balance that works for you.