Can someone explain this to me please?

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the equation suggests that y(1) ≠ 0, and the y that is obtained from the ODE solution tells me that y(1)≠0. If you keep it in terms of t, you get the same function, but t^2, x^2."
AdrianZ
I'm asking this integral equation (I'm not sure if it's an integral equation or not by it's a problem in my ODE book and because it has an integral in it I called it that way). anyways, this is the problem:

[tex]y=\int^{x}_{1}ty(t)dt[/tex]

I differentiated y with respect to x and I turned that equation into this ODE: [tex]y'=xy[/tex]
Solving this ODE yields [tex]y=Ce^{x^2/2}[/tex]

But from the definition of y, it is clear that y(1)=0 while my solution suggests that y=e1/2.

Then I substituted y(t)=Cex2 in the original equation and I obtained:
[tex]y=\int^{x}_{1}tCe^{t^2/2}dt → y=C(e^{t^2/2})|^{x}_{1}→y=C(e^{x^2/}-e^{1/2})[/tex]
And in this case y(1) is indeed equal to 0.

Would someone explain why the y that is obtained from the ODE solution tells me that y(1)≠0? What's wrong in my solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas on this matter will be appreciated. Are my questions really that hard that they usually get no responses back on physics forum or there's a conspiracy against me? lol.

The condition y(1)=0 is given in order to find constant.THE PURPOSE OF GIVING BOUNDARY CONDITIONS IS TO OBTAIN CONSTANTS AFTER INTEGRATION.

AdrianZ said:
I'm asking this integral equation (I'm not sure if it's an integral equation or not by it's a problem in my ODE book and because it has an integral in it I called it that way). anyways, this is the problem:

[tex]y=\int^{x}_{1}ty(t)dt[/tex]

I differentiated y with respect to x and I turned that equation into this ODE: [tex]y'=xy[/tex]
Solving this ODE yields [tex]y=Ce^{x^2/2}[/tex]

But from the definition of y, it is clear that y(1)=0 while my solution suggests that y=e1/2.

Then I substituted y(t)=Cex2 in the original equation and I obtained:
[tex]y=\int^{x}_{1}tCe^{t^2/2}dt → y=C(e^{t^2/2})|^{x}_{1}→y=C(e^{x^2/}-e^{1/2})[/tex]
And in this case y(1) is indeed equal to 0.

Would someone explain why the y that is obtained from the ODE solution tells me that y(1)≠0? What's wrong in my solution?

"In order to solve this you need to know what value of t... x and 1 correspond to and then you can go from there. If you keep it in terms of t, you get the same function, but t^2, x^2.

Knowing that x=t, at y=?, and t=0, y=?, you can transform accordingly .

This an ODe, you you don't have what y=, when x=t, t=0, etc.

YS

I guess I've already found an explanation to this.
C must be zero. probably that's the only answer this integral equation can have. other answers would lead to contradiction.

1. What does "explain this" mean?

When someone asks for something to be explained, they are usually requesting a clear and thorough understanding of a topic or concept. This can involve breaking down complex ideas into simpler terms or providing additional information to aid in comprehension.

2. Can anyone explain this, or does it have to be a scientist?

Anyone can explain a topic or concept, regardless of their profession or background. While scientists may have a deeper understanding of certain subjects, anyone can provide a clear and concise explanation given the necessary knowledge and understanding.

3. How do I know if someone's explanation is accurate?

Accuracy can be determined by checking the source of the information and cross-referencing it with other reliable sources. In addition, it is important to understand the qualifications and expertise of the person providing the explanation.

4. Is it possible to explain something without using technical jargon?

Yes, it is possible to explain something without using technical jargon. In fact, using simpler language can make the explanation more understandable to a wider audience. However, technical terms may be necessary in certain cases to accurately convey the information.

5. What can I do if I still don't understand after someone has explained it to me?

If you are still having trouble understanding after someone has explained something to you, you can ask for clarification or for them to provide additional examples or analogies. It may also be helpful to do further research on the topic or seek out alternative explanations.