Can someone explain this to me

• Thread starter Ryuk1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, when solving for X in the equation Xcos17 + Xsin17 = 600, dividing both sides by cos17 + sin17 results in a simplified solution of X = 600/(cos17 + sin17) because of the distributive property.
Ryuk1990
Say you have an equation like this.

Xcos17 + Xsin17 = 600

If I want to solve for X, I know that I can divide by cos17 + sin17.

So it ends up being X = 600/(cos17 + sin17).

However, why is it that it becomes just one X on the left side? There are two X's and dividing by cos17 + sin17 does not cancel the other X so why is it that only one X stays?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ryuk1990 said:
Say you have an equation like this.

Xcos17 + Xsin17 = 600

If I want to solve for X, I know that I can divide by cos17 + sin17.

So it ends up being X = 600/(cos17 + sin17).

However, why is it that it becomes just one X on the left side? There are two X's and dividing by cos17 + sin17 does not cancel the other X so why is it that only one X stays?

You can treat those two as only one, remember distributivity?

Gunthi said:
You can treat those two as only one, remember distributivity?

hahaha!

I can't believe I didn't even realize that. Thanks for the help.

Ryuk1990 said:
hahaha!

I can't believe I didn't even realize that. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

This is because when you divide both sides of an equation by the same value, it essentially cancels out that value on the other side. In this case, dividing by cos17 + sin17 eliminates the X terms on the left side, leaving only the constant term of 600. This is a common algebraic technique used to isolate a variable and solve for it. It is important to remember that in algebra, we are manipulating equations and not just numbers, so it may seem counterintuitive at first, but it follows the rules of algebra.

The reason why only one X stays on the left side after dividing by cos17 + sin17 is because of the distributive property of multiplication. When we divide both terms on the left side by cos17 + sin17, we are essentially distributing the division to each term. This means that the X in front of cos17 and the X in front of sin17 are both divided by cos17 + sin17. This results in the cancellation of the X's on the left side, leaving only one X.

In other words, when we divide by cos17 + sin17, we are dividing each term by the same value, which is equivalent to dividing the entire left side by cos17 + sin17. This is why only one X remains on the left side after dividing.

I hope this helps to clarify why the equation becomes X = 600/(cos17 + sin17). Remember, when solving equations, we want to isolate the variable (in this case, X) on one side of the equation. Dividing both sides by the same value is a common algebraic method used to do this.

1. What does "explain" mean in this context?

"Explain" in this context means to clarify or make something easier to understand by providing more information or breaking it down into simpler terms.

2. Who can explain something to me?

Anyone who has knowledge or understanding about a particular topic can explain it to you. This can include teachers, experts, or even friends or family members who may have experience or insight on the subject.

3. How can someone effectively explain something?

To effectively explain something, the person should have a clear understanding of the topic and be able to communicate it in a way that is easy to follow and understand. They should also use examples, visuals, or analogies to help illustrate the concept.

4. Is it okay to ask for an explanation more than once?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for an explanation more than once if you are still struggling to understand. Everyone learns at their own pace and it is important to fully grasp the concept before moving on.

5. Can someone explain something without using technical jargon?

Yes, it is possible for someone to explain something without using technical jargon. In fact, it is often more helpful to use simple and easy to understand language when explaining complex concepts to someone who may not have a background in the subject.