1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain to me how a minor degree works?

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    I was thinking about looking at getting a minor in another branch of study and I don't really understand what this means in regards to your overall education. Whenever I try to research minor degrees I either find a website that tries to sell me one or a site that assumes you already know what one is. I guess for a clearer question I want to know how a minor compairs to a bachelors. Is it an associates degree in another field?

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In general a minor is awarded as part of an undergraduate education as a recognition of the concentration of what are generally elective courses in a subject field. It usually does not constitute enough concentration to qualify one for graduate study in that field (an exception might be something like a mathematics major coupled with a physics minor being acceptable for graduate admissions to physics).

Some students elect to pursue a minor to develop a more marketable skill set, for example coupling an engineering major with a minor in business management, or a humanities major with a minor in computer science. If you go into education, a minor may qualify you to teach more subjects, similarly making you more employable. Other students simply find they have enough interest in a subject that they elect to have that recognized as a part of their degree.

Not all schools will award minors, or may have different rules for awarding them. At my undergraduate institution for example, one could not be awarded a minor in math if one majored in physics because the core courses in physics essentially met the requirements for a minor in math. Lots of other schools award this anyway.
  4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?