Can someone please explain leibniz rule to me,

In summary, the rule stated by Leibniz does not apply to this series since the terms do not have alternating signs. To prove convergence, you can use the Squeeze Theorem to show that the limit of the sequence of absolute values of the terms is 0, which implies that the series converges.
Dell
according to leibniz, if i have a series (An) with an alternating sign, in order for the series to converge, i need either |An| to converge, or |An| to diverge and An=0(for n->infinity) and A(n)>A(n+1)

BUT in the following series where An= ((-1)^(n-1))*1/(n+100sin(n)) the series |An| diverges, lim An=0 BUT how can i prove that An>An+1, in fact i don't think that it is true since sin(n) goes from -1 to 1, so an could be An<An+1, YET this series converges(according to the answer in my book). can anyone see how this is possible??

i thought that maybe the rule for An>An+1 is also for (n->infinity) but then i get An=An+1 so the rule still doesn't hold.

can anyone please give me the exact rule here, as well as explaining why this is not working.for me

Physics news on Phys.org
? The rule that Leibniz stated is for when the terms of the series have alternating signs. In your example, the terms of the series do not have alternating signs. Therefore, the rule does not apply here. In order for your series to converge, you need to show that the limit of the sequence of absolute values of the terms is 0. To do this, you can use the Squeeze Theorem. This states that if you have three sequences of real numbers a(n), b(n), and c(n) such that a(n) ≤ b(n) ≤ c(n) for all n and lim a(n) = lim c(n) = L, then lim b(n) = L. In your example, you can let a(n) = 0, b(n) = |((-1)^(n-1))*1/(n+100sin(n))|, and c(n) = 1/(n+100). Then, since lim a(n) = lim c(n) = 0, you can use the Squeeze Theorem to prove that lim b(n) = 0, which shows that the sequence of absolute values converges to 0. Therefore, your series converges.

What is Leibniz rule?

Leibniz rule, also known as the product rule, is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a product of functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

Why is Leibniz rule important?

Leibniz rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications.

How do you apply Leibniz rule?

To apply Leibniz rule, you first identify the two functions being multiplied together. Then, you take the derivative of each function separately and use the formula to calculate the derivative of the product. Make sure to use proper notation and keep track of which function is which.

What are some common mistakes when using Leibniz rule?

Some common mistakes when using Leibniz rule include forgetting to distribute the derivative to both functions, using incorrect notation, and mixing up the order of the functions. It is important to be careful and double check your work when using this rule.

Can Leibniz rule be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, Leibniz rule can be applied to more than two functions. The formula can be extended to include any number of functions being multiplied together, with the derivative of each function being added to the overall result. This is known as the general Leibniz rule.