Can someone point me in the right directon

• Thread starter gona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the problem is to integrate cot^{2}x. After trying various substitutions and double angle substitutions, the person is unsure of where to start. Another person suggests using the identity 1+cot^{2}x=csc^{2}x to simplify the problem and use the derivative of cot(x) to solve it easily. The first person thanks the second for the helpful tip and is surprised by how simple it was. They also mention a useful Wikipedia page with a list of trig identities for future reference.
gona
the problem is to intigrate cot[tex]^{2}[/tex]x

now i kow that cot[tex]^{2}[/tex]x = [tex]\frac{cos^{2}x}{sin^{2}x}[/tex]

now iv tryed various substitutions like usig the power reducton forumulas...
and then using double angle substiutions but nothin seems to work for me

so i was wondering if somone could just tell me where to start so i can
finish this question... been trying to figure this out for like a hour now

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the identities 1+ cot2(x)= csc2(x) so that cot2(x)= csc2(x)- 1. Since you know that the derivative of cot(x) is csc2(x), that should be easy.

Wow that was suprisingly simple thank a lot yea i didnt know about that identity that was the first time iv used it. Thnx a lot great help

There are many pages that list trig identities. Whenever I work with trig functions I always just open a page and have a look at how the functions in the question are related. There are loads of pages, but I do like wikipedias as it has a list of the 6 trig functions in terms of the others which is very handy for some integration questions when trig substitution is needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_identity

Wow very nice I am going to bookmark this page right away thnx again!

1. What does it mean to point someone in the right direction?

To point someone in the right direction means to provide guidance or advice that will help them achieve a desired outcome or reach a specific destination.

2. Why would someone need to be pointed in the right direction?

People may need to be pointed in the right direction when they are facing a challenge or are unsure of how to proceed. It can also be helpful when someone is starting a new project or learning a new skill.

3. How do you determine the right direction for someone?

The right direction for someone will depend on their specific goals and needs. It may involve assessing their current situation, identifying potential obstacles, and providing suggestions or resources to help them move forward.

4. Can pointing someone in the right direction guarantee success?

Pointing someone in the right direction can increase their chances of success, but it does not guarantee it. Ultimately, the individual must take action and put in effort to achieve their goals.

5. Is it important to have experience or expertise in a certain area to point someone in the right direction?

Having experience or expertise in a certain area can be helpful when pointing someone in the right direction, but it is not always necessary. Effective communication, understanding the individual's needs, and providing relevant resources can also be effective in guiding someone towards success.