1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone point me in the right directon

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    the problem is to intigrate cot[tex]^{2}[/tex]x

now i kow that cot[tex]^{2}[/tex]x = [tex]\frac{cos^{2}x}{sin^{2}x}[/tex]

now iv tryed various substitutions like usig the power reducton forumulas...
    and then using double angle substiutions but nothin seems to work for me

so i was wondering if somone could just tell me where to start so i can
    finish this question.... been trying to figure this out for like a hour now

thanks in advance
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the identities 1+ cot2(x)= csc2(x) so that cot2(x)= csc2(x)- 1. Since you know that the derivative of cot(x) is csc2(x), that should be easy.
  4. Aug 2, 2007 #3
    Wow that was suprisingly simple thank alot yea i didnt know about that identity that was the first time iv used it. Thnx alot great help
  5. Aug 2, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are many pages that list trig identities. Whenever I work with trig functions I always just open a page and have a look at how the functions in the question are related. There are loads of pages, but I do like wikipedias as it has a list of the 6 trig functions in terms of the others which is very handy for some integration questions when trig substitution is needed.

6. Aug 2, 2007 #5
    Wow very nice im gonna bookmark this page right away thnx again!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?