1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving integral from 5/(x^2 + 1) dx from -1 to 1 works one way but

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The integral of 5/(x^2 + 1) dx from -1 to 1. (The TheIntegral.jpg attachment shows this in a aesthetically-pleasing way.)

2. Relevant equations
    sin^2 (θ) + cos^2 (θ) = 1
    1 + tan^2 (θ) = sec^2 (θ)
    cot^2 (θ) + 1 = csc^2 (θ)

x = tan(θ)
    x = cot(θ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I am solving the integral, I successfully compute it using the x = tan(θ) substitution but when I use the x = cot(θ) substitution, I get the wrong answer.

My specific work is attached as MyWork.jpg. The work in black is the work I got correct (as indicated by the red writing) and, the work in green is the work I get wrong (as indicated by the red writing).

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong when using the cot(θ) substitution?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2
    [itex]\text{cot}^{-1}1\neq \frac{1}{\tan^{-1}1}[/itex]

The inverse trig functions do not satisfy the same identities as the trig functions.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

[itex]\cot(\theta)[/itex] blows up when [itex]\tan(\theta) = 0[/itex], ie. when [itex]\theta = n\pi[/itex].

So you need to find values for [itex]\cot^{-1}(\pm 1)[/itex] which lie between [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex]. [itex]\cot^{-1}(1) = \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] and [itex]\cot^{-1}(-1) = \frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex] will do.

5. Sep 16, 2013 #4

s3a

Thanks, gother_p, for specifying.

Also, pasmith, thanks for your answer too however, although I can see how using 3π/4 would work algebraically, I don't get how I would know to choose 3π/4 over –π/2; when θ = –π/2, θ ≠ nπ (for n being any integer).

Also, instead of values between 0 and π, I could choose values between 0 and –π if I wanted, right?

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5

s3a

Actually, I meant θ = –π/4 instead of θ = –π/2.

Also, I'm still confused as to why I can't choose θ = –π/4 instead of θ = 3π/4 (for the reason I listed in my previous post) and, I would really appreciate it if this can be elaborated upon.

Lastly, if I'm not being clear, tell me what to clarify and, I will do so.

7. Sep 18, 2013 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

You can't choose [itex]\theta = -\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex], because by definition the range of the inverse cotangent function [itex]\theta = \cot^{-1} x[/itex] is [itex]0 < \theta < \pi[/itex]. There is only one value for [itex]\cot^{-1} \left( -1 \right)[/itex] and that is [itex]\frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex].

8. Sep 18, 2013 #7

s3a

Oh, I think I get it now!

To attempt to restate what you guys said using graphical terminology, is it because in the graph of f(x) = cot(x), there is an asymptote separating –π/4 and π/4 so, we could choose to replace –π/4 with 3π/4, for example, because, the cotangent of –π/4 and 3π/4 yield the the same value or, equivalently, we could choose any other two angles both of which are between the same asymptotes such as –π/4 and –3π/4?

9. Sep 18, 2013 #8

pasmith

Homework Helper

Yes.

10. Sep 18, 2013 #9

s3a

Thanks for confirming. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted