Can someone tell me how to integrate this?

• Thread starter Gyroscope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation involves a high school student asking for help on how to integrate a given equation. The response suggests completing the square and using substitution to transform the integral into a standard form. The student is then advised to use integration by parts or the hyperbolic functions formula to solve the integral. Finally, the student expresses gratitude and mentions studying for an upcoming competition.
Gyroscope

Homework Statement

[tex]\Delta s=\int^{t_f}_{t_0}\sqrt{v_0^2-2v_0\sin\theta gt+g^2t^2}~dt[/tex]

Can someone tell me how to integrate this? I am just an high-school sutdent and have basic integration knowledge.

Thanks in advance. :approve:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The way to do any integral is transform it into some standard form that you know how to deal with.

Do you know how to do integrals containing [tex]\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}[/tex]?

If so, you can get it into that form by "completing the square":

[tex]g^2t^2 - 2v_0 \sin\theta gt + v_0^2[/tex]
= [tex](gt - v_0 \sin\theta)^2 + \dots[/tex]

Then substitute [tex] u = gt - v_0 \sin\theta[/tex]

I understand the completing the square, but I don't know how to solve these integrals. Is doing inverse substitution?

Once you have done the completing the square, and used the substitution, then you could use integration by parts to finish off the integral.

Are you sure it is integration by parts?

If you have done hyperbolic functions (similar to trig functions) and their inverses, the relevant formula is

[tex]\int{\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} = \sinh^{-1}x[/tex]

and integration by parts should get you there.

If you just want the answer (e.g. to use in a project on the motion of projectiles, or whatever) go to http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp

I have just studied this functions the last hours and the inverse integration by substitution. I am just an high-school student but I have a calculus book, from where I am studying, it gives a good preparation for IPHO. I am now going to see integration by parts and how to apply in this situation.

Thank you very much Aleph for helping me.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Can someone tell me how to integrate this?

1. How do I know which integration method to use?

The method of integration you should use depends on the type of function you are trying to integrate. Common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to understand the properties of each method and practice solving different types of integrals to determine the most appropriate method.

2. What is the process for integrating a function?

The process for integrating a function involves breaking the function down into smaller parts, using the appropriate integration method to solve each part, and then combining the solutions to get the final answer. It is important to carefully follow each step and check your work to ensure accuracy.

3. How do I handle complex integrals?

Complex integrals can be solved using the same methods as simpler integrals, but may require more advanced techniques such as partial fractions or contour integration. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and determine the best approach for solving it.

4. Can I use a calculator to integrate?

While most scientific calculators have the ability to perform basic integration, it is important to understand the steps and methods involved in integration rather than relying on a calculator. Calculators can also make mistakes, so it is always best to double check your work by hand.

5. What are some common integration mistakes to avoid?

Some common integration mistakes to avoid include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making algebraic errors when simplifying the integral, and not fully understanding the properties of the chosen integration method. It is important to carefully check each step and be familiar with the rules of integration to avoid these mistakes.

Back