Can superconductors conduct electricity at absolute zero?

In summary: However, this does not mean that they are completely still. There is still some level of motion and fluctuations present due to quantum effects, such as zero-point energy. In addition, superconductivity relies on the formation of Cooper pairs, which allows for the flow of current even at low temperatures. So, while there may be minimal motion at absolute zero, there is still enough for current to flow in superconductors. In summary, the conductivity of superconductors increases with decrease in temperature and becomes infinite at the superconducting critical temperature, not just at absolute zero. Absolute zero is impossible to reach because particles are always undergoing some level of motion, even in their ground state. The formation of Cooper pairs allows for the flow of current
Nemika
I've just learned that the conductivity of super conductors increases with decrease in temperature and it becomes infinite at absolute zero. But I thought that all motion ceases at absolute zero. So how can current flow in such conditions? And how can its resistance become zero as some resistance is also offered by the positive ions or maybe the positive charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
In superconducting materials electrons form pairs known as cooper pairs.When two electrons move towards a positive ion they tend to reach an equilibrium state and become electrically bonded.These cooper pairs are responsible of electrical conductivity in a superconductor.The movement of these cooper pairs lead to photon emission making them to propagate easily through the lattice.Refer BCS theory for more info.
figure8.jpg

But can you clear the point that how can current flow at absolute zero when it is theoretically said that all motion ceases at absolute zero.

Yes at absolute zero the current flow. From my point of view the atoms have zero kinetic energy but electrons continue to move.

Ok. Thanks anyways.

Nemika said:
I've just learned that the conductivity of super conductors increases with decrease in temperature and it becomes infinite at absolute zero. But I thought that all motion ceases at absolute zero. So how can current flow in such conditions? And how can its resistance become zero as some resistance is also offered by the positive ions or maybe the positive charge?

Please note that for superconductors, the DC conductivity goes to infinity at and below Tc, the superconducting critical temperature, and not just at absolute zero. This means that for some superconducting compound, this critical temperature can be as high at 130 K.

Zz.

Its very hard to freeze a electron.Since electrons are leptons they do not react by mass,that loss of kinetic energy of a substance doesn't stop all electrons.Its because the no of electrons is far greater than the number of positive ions.Hence there is always electromagnetic fluctuations in a substance.So electrons do move due to flux variations.This makes it very difficult to reach absolute temperature.

Space Dragon said:
Its very hard to freeze a electron.Since electrons are leptons they do not react by mass,that loss of kinetic energy of a substance doesn't stop all electrons.Its because the no of electrons is far greater than the number of positive ions.Hence there is always electromagnetic fluctuations in a substance.So electrons do move due to flux variations.This makes it very difficult to reach absolute temperature.

I don't think this is correct. Absolute zero is impossible to reach because it is impossible to exactly cancel out all the different vibrations, rotations, and translations that the particles composing a material are undergoing. In addition, the existence of a ground state prevents electrons from losing all of their momentum anyways.

I don't know what 'react by mass' means.

I said that because electrons has less mass compared to a positive ion,they react electromagnetically rather than gravitationally(ie.by mass).
I may be wrong but i still don't see any plausible explanation to her question.
Thanks for correcting me anyways.

Space Dragon said:
I said that because electrons has less mass compared to a positive ion,they react electromagnetically rather than gravitationally(ie.by mass).

Well, no, that's not correct either. We can effectively ignore gravitation here, as it has little to nothing to do with why absolute zero is impossible to reach or why superconductors behave the way they do.

Nemika said:
But can you clear the point that how can current flow at absolute zero when it is theoretically said that all motion ceases at absolute zero.

That's a misconception. Motion does not cease at absolute zero. Instead, the particles making up the material would be in their ground state, which is a minimum energy level. They literally cannot lose any more energy and stop moving.

1. Can superconductors conduct electricity at absolute zero?

Yes, superconductors can conduct electricity at absolute zero. In fact, this is one of the defining characteristics of a superconductor. At absolute zero, the electrical resistance in a superconductor drops to zero, allowing for perfect conduction of electricity.

2. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature in the universe, at which all molecular motion and energy stops. This temperature is equivalent to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

3. How do superconductors work at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, the electrons in a superconductor form pairs and move through the material without any resistance. This is due to a phenomenon called Cooper pairing, in which electrons are able to overcome their repulsive forces and form pairs, allowing for the flow of electricity without any loss of energy.

4. Are all superconductors able to conduct electricity at absolute zero?

No, not all superconductors are able to conduct electricity at absolute zero. There are different types of superconductors, with some requiring extremely low temperatures to exhibit zero resistance, while others can function at higher temperatures. However, all superconductors must be at or below their critical temperature to exhibit their superconducting properties.

5. What are the practical applications of superconductors at absolute zero?

Superconductors at absolute zero have a wide range of practical applications, including in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines, in high-speed trains and levitating trains, in particle accelerators, and in sensitive electronic devices such as quantum computers. They also have the potential to greatly improve energy efficiency in power transmission and storage systems.