Can Superposition Be Applied to a Single Charge in Different Dielectric Media?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
soupdejour
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I think I understand how superposition (of the electric field) applies for when I have two (or more) charges.

BUT, If I have only one charge, but two regions of dielectric [tex]\epsilon_a[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon_b[/tex], can I superimpose the solutions for the charge Q in just [tex]\epsilon_a[/tex] with the solution of Q in [tex]\epsilon_b[/tex]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
OK.
When the fields were initially established, more work was done in establishing the field in one medium than in the other. That means that the energy density will be greater in one than in the other. That's if the dielectrics are in parallel.
If they are in series, the overall potential will be shared unequally across the two regions.