Can the car stop in time at the stop sign?

In summary, a car traveling at a speed of 90km/h approaches a stop sign 40m ahead. By using the equation for position and the derivative of that equation, it is found that the car will be able to stop in time at a position of 39.1m, assuming it immediately begins to decelerate at a rate of -8m/s^2.
jnimagine

Homework Statement

A car, traveling at a speed of 90km/h, approaches a stop sign 40m ahead. If the car immediately begins to decelerate at a rate of -8m/s^2, will it be able to stop in time? Justify your response

Homework Equations

d = 1/2at^2 + vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I found time by doing t = v/a and found it to be 25/8s
Then I subbed it in d = 1/2at^2 + vt and got an answer of 39.1m, which is smaller than 40m. So it will be able to stop in time.
But this assignment is all about differentiation, so I should be finding a derivative somewhere... but I don't know where to find a derivative to solve this problem!
Please help~~

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Well, you've kind of already used differentiation, but you may not know it. You have an equation for position:

[tex] x(t) = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

The velocity is found by taking the derivative of this equation:

[tex] v(t) = \frac{dx}{dt} = v_0 + at [/tex]

So when you calculated your time (where did you get t = v/a?) you were using this equation.

Hope this helps.

Related to Can the car stop in time at the stop sign?

1. What is differentiation in relation to car problems?

Differentiation in relation to car problems refers to the process of identifying and troubleshooting issues within a car's systems, such as the engine, transmission, or electrical components. It involves using scientific methods and tools to diagnose and solve car problems.

2. What are some common signs of car differentiation problems?

Some common signs of car differentiation problems include strange noises or vibrations while driving, decreased performance or efficiency, warning lights on the dashboard, and difficulty starting the car. These issues can indicate a problem with a specific car component or a more general issue with the car's systems.

3. How can I differentiate between different car problems?

Differentiating between different car problems involves using a systematic approach and understanding the various components and systems within a car. This can include performing diagnostic tests, using specialized tools, and consulting with experts or manuals. It is important to accurately identify the specific issue in order to effectively solve the problem.

4. Is differentiation necessary for all car problems?

While some car problems may be obvious and easily identifiable, differentiation is necessary for more complex or hidden issues. It is especially important for modern, computerized cars, as many problems may not have obvious symptoms and require specialized knowledge and tools to diagnose and repair.

5. Can I perform differentiation on my own car?

Depending on the complexity of the car problem and your level of knowledge and experience, it is possible to perform differentiation on your own car. However, it is recommended to consult with a professional mechanic or technician for more complicated issues, as they have the necessary expertise and tools to accurately diagnose and fix car problems.