Can the Convergence of a Sequence be Proven by Using Epsilon and Inequalities?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sebasvargasl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
sebasvargasl
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello Physics Forums community! I've been struggling for a while with this one
emoticon-0121-angry.gif
; so basically a sequence a_n is given to us such that the sequence b_n defined by b_n = pa_n + qa_(n+1) is convergent where abs(p)<q. I need to prove a_n is convergent also. Any hint would be of so much help, thank you.

(I've tried proving it is Cauchy but no insight ever comes, just messing with inequalities. I haven't fully understood the role played by abs(p)<q)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sebasvargasl said:
Hello Physics Forums community! I've been struggling for a while with this one
emoticon-0121-angry.gif
; so basically a sequence a_n is given to us such that the sequence b_n defined by b_n = pa_n + qa_(n+1) is convergent where abs(p)<q. I need to prove a_n is convergent also. Any hint would be of so much help, thank you.

(I've tried proving it is Cauchy but no insight ever comes, just messing with inequalities. I haven't fully understood the role played by abs(p)<q)

You can start by trying to think what could go wrong if ##|p|<q## isn't true. Suppose ##a_n=(-1)^n## and ##p=1## and ##q=1##.
 
I'm well aware of the counter examples when the inequality doesn't hold. I just can't find a way to prove the theorem; and to do this I need to fully understand the importance of the inequality. I can't see it intuitively