1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the product of convergent sequences converge to the product of their limits

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the fact that a_n=a+(a_n-a) and b_n=b+(b_n-b) to establish the equality

(a_n)(b_n)-ab=(a_n-a)(b_n)+b(a_n-a)+a(b_n-b)

Then use this equality to give a different proof of part (d) of theorem 2.7.

2. Relevant equations
    The theorem it is citing is:
    The sequence {(a_n)(b_n-b)} converges to ab.

The proof in the book uses bounds to establish that the theorem is true.

3. The attempt at a solution

Building (a_n)(b_n)-ab=(a_n-a)(b_n)+b(a_n-a)+a(b_n-b) is not hard, and I am omitting this part.

Assume a_n converges to a and b_n converges to b
    Let ε>0 be given.
    Using the definition of convergence, |a_n-a|< ε for all n≥ N_1 where N_1 is a positive integer.
    Similarly, |b_n-b|< ε for all n≥ N_2 where N_2 is a positive integer.

Using the fact that (a_n)(b_n)-ab=(a_n-a)(b_n)+b(a_n-a)+a(b_n-b), then
    |(a_n)(b_n)-ab|=|(a_n-a)(b_n)+b(a_n-a)+a(b_n-b)|

Using the triangular inequality and properties of absolute values, |(a_n)(b_n)-ab|=|(a_n-a)||(b_n)|+|b||(a_n-a)|+|a||(b_n-b)|

Then |(a_n-a)||(b_n)|+|b||(a_n-a)|+|a||(b_n-b)| < (ε)(ε)+|b|ε+|a|ε < ε

This is where my issues begin. My professor suggested using more N_x values. Four in total I believe. I need to show some how that the the product and sum is less then ε, but I am having trouble discovering how to set up the convergence definition to make the product and sum equal to ε.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

a_nb_n- ab_n+ ab_n- ab= b_n(a_n- a)+ a(b_n- b)

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3
    I am sorry but did you mean a_nb_n- ab_n+ ab_n- ab=b(a_n)+a(b_n-b) instead of b_n(a_n-a)?

Using that, then
    |a_nb_n- ab_n+ ab_n- ab|=|b(a_n)+a(b_n-b)|<|b||a_n-a|+|a||b_n-b|

If |a_n-a|< ε/[2(|b|+1)] and |b_n-b|<ε/[2(|a|+1)], then

|b||a_n-a|+|a||b_n-b|< (ε|b|)/[2(|b|+1)]+(ε|a|)/[2(|a|+1)] = (ε/2)*[|b|/(|b|+1)]+(ε/2)*[|a|/(|a|+1)] < ε/2+ε/2=ε

Something like that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook