Can the Entropy of a System Always Be Expressed as dU/dT?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Entropy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Tio Barnabe
Can we always express the entropy of a given system as ##\partial U / \partial T##, i.e. as the variation of the internal energy of the system w.r.t. its temperature?

By always I really mean, in every discussion we are eventually engaged in. Like, when I want to talk about the evolution of the universe (in large scale), or when I want to talk about a container of gas.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As opposed to what? A definition involving multiplicity?
 
mishima said:
As opposed to what? A definition involving multiplicity?
Well, the definition I know for entropy does involve multiplicity. "The entropy is the logarithm of the multiplicity". So I'm not aware of an other definition which is opposed to the one I mentioned in the opening post.
Chestermiller said:
Are you sure about the expression you gave for entropy?
I thought that would be the expression for the entropy, since we have ##dU = S dT \ + \ ... \ ##.
 
Tio Barnabe said:
Well, the definition I know for entropy does involve multiplicity. "The entropy is the logarithm of the multiplicity". So I'm not aware of an other definition which is opposed to the one I mentioned in the opening post.

I thought that would be the expression for the entropy, since we have ##dU = S dT \ + \ ... \ ##.
I think you mean TdS
 
Tio Barnabe said:
Well, the definition I know for entropy does involve multiplicity. "The entropy is the logarithm of the multiplicity". So I'm not aware of an other definition which is opposed to the one I mentioned in the opening post.

Ok. So you're more asking if dU = TdS + pdV ever fails to be applicable?
 
Chestermiller said:
I think you mean TdS
yes, I'm sorry for the mistake
mishima said:
Ok. So you're more asking if dU = TdS + pdV ever fails to be applicable?
yes, exactly
 
Tio Barnabe said:
yes, I'm sorry for the mistake

yes, exactly
The equation ##dU=TdS-PdV## is really a physical property relationship that connects the changes in internal energy, entropy, and volume for a single-phase material between two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states at (U,S,V) and (U+dU, S+dS, and V+dV).