Can The Free Electrons Be Polarized?

• Thread starter wantommy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the Stern-Gerlach experiment showed that atomic beams can be polarized, but this does not work for free electron beams. This is because the charged particles in the electron beam experience a spread in deflection due to the -evXB interaction, making it difficult to observe discrete beam separation. While electrons can be polarized, the S-G apparatus is not able to achieve this. There is a possibility that the Lorentz force and uncertainty principle can help fix this issue, but there is currently no known derivation for this.
wantommy
Recently, I read the Stern-Gerlach experiment
and I have a question about the source

use free electrons beam instead of Ag atoms beam
is the screen still two lines (electron spin up & down)?

But the truth is that there is a region(pattern) not two obvious lines on the screen
because the electrons can't be polarized in the S-G equipment
I'm just curious that
how to calculate it to prove there isn't two lines on the screen?

Can any gurus derive it and show me?
Thank you!

there is a information which i found
jstor search "27757542"
(A History of the Question: Can Free Electrons be Polarized?)
but the context doesn't have the derivation@@ (just interpret the history...)

best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question.
As you have small magnetic dipole momenta (does it come from the angular mommentum or the spin) passing through a mangetic field (S-G) they will get polarised. What does that mena?
That generally means, that initially your magnetic dipole momenta were showing in every direction, let us say chaotically.
After getting in the field, they will get their momenta get to that magnetic field lines' direction (so either UP or DOWN). It's classical...

Here is the context :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1808, Malus found that the light can be polarized by sending it through a calcite crystal. In 1921, Stern and Gerlach found that when they sent an atomic beam (for example, alkali atomic beam) through an inhomogenious magnetic field, then detected the polarization of atoms. For example, the alkali atomic beam splits into two beams with opposite spin directions. In the former case, a calcite crystal is the so-called "polarizer", and the latter case a "spin filter".
However, the procedure does not work with free electrons! Namely, it is impossible to polarized free electrons by means of a Stern-Gerlach experiment. That is to say, when you send an electron beam through an inhomogeneous magnetic field, no splitting with opposite spin directions can be observed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus
I think "be polarized" that lead the atomic beam split to two state (Beacuse of angular momentum L&J)

My question is
if I change atomic beam into free electron beam
how can I show that Stern-Gerlach apparatus cannot separate spin-up and spin-down electrons?

thanks for your response!

The info is that my teacher gives to me & let me think about it
he just imply that I need the "Lorentz force and uncertainty principle"

maybe the atomic beam is electrically neutral and don't consider Lorentz force
but the free electron beam has charge not electrically neutral, it should use the Lorentz force to fix it

my teacher asks me to convince him how should I "calculate" it fo fix the problem in S-G apparatus...

I searched lots of webs and found nothing clues about fixed derivation
is my keyword wrong@@?

Sincere best wishes

Electrons can be polarized, but not by the S-G apparatus.
The problem there is that the spread in deflection due to the -evXB interaction for an inhomgeneous B is about the same as the grad(mu.B) deflection, so discrete beam separation is not seen for charged paarticles.

FAQ: Can The Free Electrons Be Polarized?

1. Can free electrons be polarized in a magnetic field?

Yes, free electrons can be polarized in a magnetic field. When a magnetic field is applied to a material, the electrons will align their spins in the direction of the field, resulting in polarization.

2. What is the difference between polarized and non-polarized electrons?

Polarized electrons have their spins aligned in a particular direction, while non-polarized electrons have random spin orientations. This difference in spin alignment affects the behavior and properties of the electrons in a material.

3. How does polarization of electrons affect the electrical conductivity of a material?

Polarization of electrons can increase or decrease the electrical conductivity of a material, depending on the direction of the polarization. In some cases, it can make the material a better conductor, while in others it can make it a worse conductor.

4. Can free electrons be polarized in an electric field?

No, free electrons cannot be polarized in an electric field. Electric fields only affect charged particles, so they do not have an effect on the spin alignment of free electrons.

5. How is the polarization of free electrons related to the magnetic moment?

The polarization of free electrons is directly related to their magnetic moment. When the electrons are polarized, their magnetic moments align, resulting in an overall magnetic moment for the material.