Can ultrasound pass through metal?

In summary: And if you couple it correctly to the metal, it can go quite far in metal. It's not all that difference from sound traveling in metal. I can hear a local commuter train (BART electric trains) coming from the sounds the tracks make long before the train shows up... :smile:Ultrasound can range from tens of kHz to almost terahertz so to get an answer regrading how thick the metal and other details you should specify the application and the frequency range of the ultrasound.However the attenuation varies strongly with frequency. Ultrasound can range from tens of kHz to almost terahertz so to get an answer regrading how thick the metal and other details you
physea
Hello

How much of it can pass and how thick the metal can be?

I couldn't find anything online, I only found some contradicting and unclear information.

Physics news on Phys.org
physea said:
Hello

How much of it can pass and how thick the metal can be?

I couldn't find anything online, I only found some contradicting and unclear information.
Ultrasound cleaning tanks are made of metal and the transducer is outside the (thin) metal skin.

Likes CWatters
sophiecentaur said:
Ultrasound cleaning tanks are made of metal and the transducer is outside the (thin) metal skin.
I don't understand what you are saying

physea said:
I don't understand what you are saying
He is using the coupling method for those cleaning tanks as an existence proof that ultrasound energy can go through at least a thin layer of metal.

And if you couple it correctly to the metal, it can go quite far in metal. It's not all that difference from sound traveling in metal. I can hear a local commuter train (BART electric trains) coming from the sounds the tracks make long before the train shows up... :smile:

Attenuation of ultrasound in metals is much lower than in water (or soft biological tissue). Ultrasound nondestructive testing is used extensively for metal parts.
However the attenuation varies strongly with frequency. Ultrasound can range from tens of kHz to almost terahertz so to get an answer regrading how thick the metal and other details you should specify the application and the frequency range of the ultrasound.

Likes berkeman
nasu said:
Attenuation of ultrasound in metals is much lower than in water (or soft biological tissue). Ultrasound nondestructive testing is used extensively for metal parts.
However the attenuation varies strongly with frequency. Ultrasound can range from tens of kHz to almost terahertz so to get an answer regrading how thick the metal and other details you should specify the application and the frequency range of the ultrasound.
There is another issue here, though. The ultrasound energy has to be Matched at any interface. This is necessary between the source and the destination of the waves or very little energy will pass through into and out of the metal. Different transducers must be used for different applications - body tissue, metal, air etc.

The same type of coupling gel can be used for both industrial and medical applications. The medical one has some antiseptic components. A thin layer of water will work too. And the same transducer will work for both, in principle. In medical imaging they use arrays of transducers whereas in industrial nondestructive testing they can use both single transducers and arrays.
The air coupled ones are indeed of a different design. But the question was not about ultrasound going through air.

1. Can ultrasound pass through all types of metal?

Yes, ultrasound waves can pass through all types of metal, including steel, aluminum, and copper. However, the amount of ultrasound that can pass through the metal will vary depending on the thickness and type of metal.

2. How does ultrasound pass through metal?

Ultrasound waves are mechanical waves that can travel through solid materials, including metal. The high-frequency sound waves vibrate the molecules in the metal, allowing them to pass through and transmit the sound energy.

3. Can ultrasound detect defects in metal?

Yes, ultrasound is commonly used for non-destructive testing of metal to detect defects such as cracks, voids, and inclusions. The ultrasound waves are reflected differently by these defects, allowing them to be detected and located.

4. Is the reflection of ultrasound waves affected by the type of metal?

Yes, the reflection of ultrasound waves is affected by the type of metal. Metals with a higher density and hardness, such as steel, will reflect more ultrasound waves compared to softer metals like aluminum.

5. Can ultrasound pass through thick metal plates?

Yes, ultrasound can pass through thick metal plates. However, the amount of ultrasound that can pass through will decrease as the thickness of the metal increases. This is due to the absorption and scattering of ultrasound waves by the metal. Specialized equipment and techniques may be needed to effectively transmit and receive ultrasound through thick metal plates.