1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How high levels of ultrasound can be created in Air?

Tags:
  1. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:56 AM #1
    Please can someone explain me how high levels of ultrasound can be created in Air?
    Should we consider the Ultrasound or we should concentrate only on sound level in Air as frequency ultrasound have no effect on sound level?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2017 at 9:11 AM #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? What are you trying to do?

4. Dec 6, 2017 at 10:07 AM #3
    Hi Mentor,

Thank you for reply. This is a question which is going on top of my head as I am approaching Acoustics and Ultrasound subject.

5. Dec 6, 2017 at 10:08 AM #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You do understand that high levels of ultrasound in air can be dangerous, right? Can you say why that is true?

6. Dec 6, 2017 at 10:29 AM #5
    Of course, I think the limits are 120 dB for Ultrasound based on WHO but I saw some standards stating lower limits. Why is dangerous because causing all kinds of non-auditory discomforts and probably more stuff..
    But my theoretical questions is how high levels of ultrasound can be created in Air? I know based on Sound Level in Air that the highest level is around 194 dB. But can we say it will be 194 dB for ultrasound as well? Have high frequency affect the sound level due to strong attenuation of Ultrasound in air?

7. Dec 6, 2017 at 12:58 PM #6

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

With a tone generator, an amplifier, and an ultrasonic capable speaker?
    Being somewhat old, everything above 12,000 hz is ultrasonic, so my laptop, add on speakers, and on-line tone generator were able to create "ultrasound".
    wiki claims that that is a "dubious" claim. [ref] Do you have a reference for that? I searched for about 20 minutes and couldn't find a source for the claim.
    I don't know. Have you googled it?

8. Dec 6, 2017 at 1:39 PM #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, I don't know about Piotr, but I now understand.

Note to home experimenters: This is a horrible experiment to try on yourself. My ears are still ringing!

9. Dec 6, 2017 at 6:58 PM #8
    It can be dangerous, both for people and for things, be careful, if you're not a professional or a scientist

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted