Can use Carbon to create Diode

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using carbon to create diodes instead of silicon-germanium. However, due to the difficulty in growing large single crystal diamonds and finding a suitable n-type dopant, there is currently a large research effort to make diamond electronics as it has higher thermal and electrical conductivity. While carbon nano-materials show potential as semiconductors, the current cost is too high and silicon remains the preferred material due to its quality and lower turn on voltage.
baby_1
Hello
Can use Carbon to create Diode instead of
Silicon-germanium ?
if yes why we don't have carbon diode? what is advantages and disadvantages?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since we need single crystal material, we're talking diamond. Historically, growing large single crystal diamonds has not been possible. If I could grow large, high-quality diamonds, I would probably focus on selling them as gems first before I would sell them to make electronics. Also, finding a good n-type dopant in diamond has been a problem (boron works well for p-type diamond, but for reasons I don't understand, the historic n-type dopants like phosphorous don't work well in diamond). However, there is a large research effort going on to make diamond electronics, and many people believe it will eventually replace silicon due to its higher thermal and electrical conductivity. Here's one recent article:

http://www.semiconductor-today.com/news_items/2012/MAY/ELEMENTSIX_230512.html

I think that in the past carbon in the form of coke was one of the things used as the diode detector for crystal set radios.

It's the question of quality. There are a number of properties you are looking for in a diode, and you just get better ones from silicone and even better from germanium.

There are some carbon nano-materials that apparently make good semiconductors. So we might start using these in the future, but right now, it's prohibitively expensive. You get best quality for the money with silicone, which is why we use it.

A strange comparison of silicon (silicone!) and germanium.
I understand that the advantage of silicon over germanium was it's ability to operate at higher temperatures before the onset of intrinsic conduction.
Germanium diodes have a smaller 'turn on' voltage than silicon diodes and this is an advantage when dealing with small signals.

Related to Can use Carbon to create Diode

1. Can carbon be used to create a diode?

Yes, carbon can be used to create a diode. In fact, carbon-based diodes, also known as organic diodes or OLEDs (organic light-emitting diodes), are becoming increasingly popular due to their flexibility, low cost, and potential for use in electronic devices such as displays and solar cells.

2. How does carbon create a diode?

Carbon can create a diode by forming a thin layer of a semiconducting organic material between two electrodes. This layer, known as the active layer, allows for the flow of electrical current in one direction while blocking it in the other, thus creating a diode effect.

3. What are the benefits of using carbon to create diodes?

Using carbon to create diodes has several benefits. Firstly, it is a cost-effective and abundant material, making it more accessible for large-scale production. Additionally, carbon-based diodes have a higher efficiency, lower power consumption, and are more flexible compared to traditional silicon-based diodes.

4. Are there any limitations to using carbon for diodes?

One limitation of using carbon for diodes is its relatively low conductivity compared to other materials such as silicon. This can result in lower energy conversion efficiency and may require additional processing steps to improve the material's conductivity.

5. What other applications can carbon-based diodes be used for?

Besides electronic devices like displays and solar cells, carbon-based diodes also have potential applications in sensors, photodetectors, and light-emitting devices. They are also being studied for use in biomedical devices and applications in biotechnology and medicine.