Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can variable refrigerant flow outdoor units be combined

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    Hey,
    I noticed that some manufacturers have provided data for pre-combined (2 or 3 modules) to achieve higher loads (limited to about 60 refrigeration tons).I was wondering if a designer could combine modules to achieve a greater even larger(different) loads or am i limited to the combinations provided by the manufacturer.
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2
    The modulation of compressor units outdoors you mentioned is for the purpose of energy savings. This is typical to establishment which air conditioning loads frequently varies in a day period.
    Imagine if there is a central air conditioning system which is designed to cater maximum load say 100%, then the actual demand due to the deviation of use is just 10%? It is a waste of energy to let the unit operates in such condition. Compare it to, let say, 3 units, each capable only of delivering 33% only of the total maximum load. It would be a saving only running (1) 33% unit, and the (2) others are turned off,do you agree?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  4. Sep 10, 2015 #3
    Yes I understand ,however I was wondering if I could combine and modulate single module units as i see fit , and if i can ,what would limit the maximum load and how refrigerant flow to indoor units would be controlled.

5. Sep 10, 2015 #4
    I'm sorry, I can not digest what you intend to do, could you please, elaborate further.

6. Sep 10, 2015 #5
    I'm just wondering if outdoor units can be freely combined.

7. Sep 10, 2015 #6
    Nope you cant freely combine, there is no sense because each has its own compressor and condenser set and why even bother to. It's an additional work, you know.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook