Can we control older threads on PF to prevent unnecessary discussions?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the moderators of this site close threads after 30 days if they haven't had a response in a year. This prevents "me too" posts and thread hijacks by new posters with a very similar problem. It also cuts off pointless discussion threads.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
I'm a moderator on another site, and we close older threads. We close after 30 days. It prevents "me too" posts and thread hijacks by new posters with a very similar problem - when the answer could have been found with a simple forum search. It also cuts off pointless discussion threads.

Anyway, what is the possibility for doing something like this on PF? I realize some of the long lived threads go on just fine. The Moderators could easily set a no-close flag (vBulletin supports that; this may be a modification the forums owner made on the above mentioned forums) on those threads since there aren't that many.

There are many more of these threads than the truly viable long-time threads:
This one dithered on from March into mostly nonsense and Nugatory finally closed it.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-we-blow-up-a-tornado.692975/page-2

This kind of what-if thread is the most likely to attract supposition. And I thought it was under control - but after reading the entire thing, that did not seem to be the case. It waffled on for months. One advisor kind of gave up and started making pretty good jokes. Simon, thank you for the humor.

I am contemplating going "mean" and start asking to close these things. Regardless. I had assumed that if another advisor or mod had posted in a thread it was under some sort control. Since I am competent to post in a very few sub-forums my impact is truly minimal.

Maybe grumpy comes with old age...

Physics news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
I'm a moderator on another site, and we close older threads. We close after 30 days. It prevents "me too" posts and thread hijacks by new posters with a very similar problem - when the answer could have been found with a simple forum search. It also cuts off pointless discussion threads.
Currently I run a query a few times a year that close threads that haven't had a response in a year. I'm likely due to run it again. The time is up for debate, but I do think 30 days is a bit low.

Likes DataGG
I agree that 30 days is extremely low...

I think threads should be merged more often... There are several threads (For example, the IQ ones, or the "best physicist", etc) that could be merged into 1 bigger thread. Just dump everything from a particular subject into 1 mega-thread.

DataGG said:
... There are several threads (For example, the IQ ones, or the "best physicist", etc) that could be merged into 1 bigger thread. Just dump everything from a particular subject into 1 mega-thread.

I agree that we get a lot of similar threads (VERY similar threads sometimes) but I don't think a simple "dump it all into one thread" would give a good result and *I* certainly wouldn't ask the mods to spend the time necessary to do an intelligent merger.

Likes Evo and OmCheeto
Jim, I am still having trouble understanding exactly what the problem is. It sounds like the thread itself was problematic and should have been closed while it was still active, and that's the problem - not that the automatic closings run with 365 days and not 30. (Or 90, or 180 or some other number) If so, probably the best thing to do is to report the thread.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What are older threads?

Older threads refer to discussions or conversations on online forums or social media platforms that have been inactive for a certain period of time. This time frame can vary depending on the platform or community, but generally, threads that have not been active for a few weeks or months can be considered as older threads.

2. Why is it important to control older threads?

Controlling older threads is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps to declutter and organize online discussions, making it easier for users to find relevant and recent information. Additionally, controlling older threads can also help to prevent the spread of outdated or incorrect information, which can be misleading or harmful.

3. How can older threads be controlled?

There are various ways to control older threads, depending on the platform or community rules. Some common methods include locking the thread, which prevents users from adding new comments or replies, or archiving the thread, which makes it read-only and removes it from the main discussion page. Other methods include deleting the thread or moving it to a separate section for older discussions.

4. What are the benefits of controlling older threads?

Controlling older threads has several benefits, including keeping online discussions organized and relevant, preventing the spread of outdated or incorrect information, and improving the overall user experience. It also helps to maintain the integrity of the platform or community and ensures that newer discussions and information are given priority.

5. Are there any downsides to controlling older threads?

While controlling older threads can have many benefits, there are also some potential downsides. For example, some users may feel that their contributions are being censored or deleted, which could lead to frustration or a decrease in community engagement. Additionally, if not done carefully, controlling older threads could also result in the loss of valuable information or discussions.