Can we operate with several operators at once on a state?

In summary, the time-translation operator is ##\exp(-i Ht)## and the space-translation operator is ##\exp(i (p \cdot x))##. These operators can be composed and used on a state vector to represent a particle at a different point in space at a different instant of time. However, it is important to note that the order in which the operators are applied may affect the result.
Tio Barnabe
It's known that the time-translation operator is ##\exp(-i Ht)## and the space-translation operator is ##\exp(i (p \cdot x))##. The former causes a time-translation for a state vector whereas the latter causes a space-translation.

Can we operate with the two operators on the state vector? Like ##\exp(-i Ht) \exp(i p \cdot x)##.
What would be the interpretation? That the "particle" is moving in both space and time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
Can we operate with the two operators on the state vector?

Sure. Operators on a vector space can be composed, which is what you are describing. The thing you have to be careful of is that many pairs of operators do not commute--i.e., the result you get when you compose them depends on the order in which they are applied. (I don't think that's the case for your particular example, though.)

Tio Barnabe said:
What would be the interpretation? That the "particle" is moving in both space and time?

No, that you have obtained a state vector that represents a particle at a different point in space at a different instant of time.

Likes bhobba and vanhees71

1. Can multiple operators work simultaneously on the same state?

Yes, it is possible for multiple operators to work on the same state at the same time. This is often necessary in complex experiments or procedures where multiple tasks need to be carried out simultaneously.

2. Are there any limitations to operating with multiple operators on a state?

While it is possible for multiple operators to work on a state, there may be limitations depending on the type of state and the tasks being performed. It is important for operators to communicate and coordinate effectively to ensure safety and accuracy.

3. How does working with multiple operators affect the efficiency of the operation?

The efficiency of an operation can be affected by multiple operators working on a state. This can depend on the level of coordination and communication between the operators, as well as their individual skills and experience.

4. What are the benefits of operating with several operators at once on a state?

Operating with multiple operators on a state can have several benefits, such as reducing the time it takes to complete a task, allowing for more complex procedures to be carried out, and providing support and assistance to each other during the operation.

5. How can the risks of operating with multiple operators on a state be minimized?

The risks of operating with multiple operators on a state can be minimized through proper planning and communication. It is important for all operators to be well-trained and familiar with the procedures, and to have clear roles and responsibilities assigned to each of them.