1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we use conditional expectation?

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    I found this question in a book:

Two palyers A and B alternatively roll a pair of unbiased die. A wins if on a throw he obtain exactly 6 points, before B gets 7 points, B wining in the opposing event. If A begins the game prove that the probability of A winning is 30/61 and that the expected number of trials need for A's win is approximately 6.

I was trying to solve the problem using conditional probability and expectation. To get 30/61 I conditioned on the sum on the dice on the 1st roll and then on the sum on the dice on the second roll.

However I am not sure whether we can calculate the required expectation through conditioning. I know that the exact answer is 371/61=6.0819. Through conditioning I only can 5.57 which however can also be approximated to 6.

Also if X denotes "the number of trials needed for A to win"
    And Yi be the sum on the ith roll

Conditioning on the first roll,
    E[X]= E[X/Y1=6)P(Y1=6) + E[x/Y1 is not equal to six]P[Y1 is not =6)
    = 1x5/36 + E[X/Y1 not =6)x31/36

Then conditioninf on the 2nd roll.
    E[X/Y1 not = 6]= E[X/Y1 not=6, Y2 not = 9)P(Y2 not equal 9) + E[X/Y1 not=6, Y2=9)P(Y2=9)

That's kind of where I am stuck for what is the expected number of trials for A to win given that B wins on the second trial??
    Or should I try to condition on the 3rd or last event?
    Or should I approach the problem without using condition.

Man I am so confused now! :confused: :rofl:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted