Can weight distribution of a table be shifted using flexible supports?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Stan Denman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Table Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
Stan Denman
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am a total physics novice, so please bear with me. I would like to know if it would even be possible to achieve this result. Assume I have a fixed abject like a table. Would it be possible to "redistribute" the weight of the table such that the front end of the table bears more of the weight than the back end? I am imagining a set of very strong flexible tent poles anchored at two points on the table such that more weight would be born by the front legs of the table?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Stan Denman said:
I am a total physics novice, so please bear with me. I would like to know if it would even be possible to achieve this result. Assume I have a fixed abject like a table. Would it be possible to "redistribute" the weight of the table such that the front end of the table bears more of the weight than the back end? I am imagining a set of very strong flexible tent poles anchored at two points on the table such that more weight would be born by the front legs of the table?
The weight distribution depends on the center of mass location. The external moments and forces have to balance. Adding internal support structures will not change those external forces, except through moving the center of mass.
 
Can you post a sketch of what you're thinking? Use the UPLOAD button to put it in your post.

You can have a two-legged (or even one-leg) table and bolt the two legs to the floor.
 
A.T. said:
The weight distribution depends on the center of mass location. The external moments and forces have to balance. Adding internal support structures will not change those external forces, except through moving the center of mass.

thanks for your response. Not sure entirely what you mean. If we have a flexible tent pole and the center of the table is the fulcrum
anorlunda said:
Can you post a sketch of what you're thinking? Use the UPLOAD button to put it in your post.

You can have a two-legged (or even one-leg) table and bolt the two legs to the floor.

Sure, let's say we are deal with a standing dog. If I wanted to get weight off his back legs and on to his front legs, I can imagine a vest in which i have flexible tent polls affix that are bent and exerting torque. In this drawing I am envisioning 2 tents and just wondering if it would work.
 
Attachments
Stan Denman said:
thanks for your response. Not sure entirely what you mean. If we have a flexible tent pole and the center of the table is the fulcrumSure, let's say we are deal with a standing dog. If I wanted to get weight off his back legs and on to his front legs, I can imagine a vest in which i have flexible tent polls affix that are bent and exerting torque. In this drawing I am envisioning 2 tents and just wondering if it would work.
You can use external anchors - like for a suspension bridge, but no internal structure (forces) can change weight distribution.

Since you can't anchor a dog, the only thing that would really help much is hanging a weight off his nose...probably don't want to do that though.
 
Stan Denman said:
If we have a flexible tent pole and the center of the table is the fulcrum
If the additional poles don't touch the ground, and don't change the horizontal center of mass location, they will not change the external forces on the legs. They can only change internal forces within the structure. You are basically just building stronger legs. But you are not changing the loading of the floor. Is that your aim?

Stan Denman said:
Sure, let's say we are deal with a standing dog...
Bio-mechanics of living things is much more complicated than a table, which you already struggle to understand .
 
Stan Denman said:
I am a total physics novice, so please bear with me. I would like to know if it would even be possible to achieve this result. Assume I have a fixed abject like a table. Would it be possible to "redistribute" the weight of the table such that the front end of the table bears more of the weight than the back end? I am imagining a set of very strong flexible tent poles anchored at two points on the table such that more weight would be born by the front legs of the table?
If the front legs were moved toward the back of the table, then they would bear more weight than the back legs. If some lumber were clamped to the back of the table and hanging over the front, then the weight on the front legs would go up, and the weight on the back legs would go down. If they were long and heavy enough, the weight on the back legs would be less than zero, and the table would tip to the front, bringing the back legs off the floor.