Can You Convert Candela to Watt for Your Autocad Renderings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nicolasmarie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Watt
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 56K views
nicolasmarie
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I am working on rendering in Autocad and I have came across light. A point light representing a bulb has intensity measured in candela, default value 1500 Cd. I want to represent a normal bulb of 60 watts used for a room. Is there a way to calculate Candela to Watt? Can anyody help me on this please?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
From the hyperphysics site http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/photom.html

The candela is the luminous intensity, in a given direction. of a source that emits monochromatic radiation of frequency 540 x 1012 hertz and that has a radiant intensity in that direction of 1/683 watt per steradian.

Also from hyperphysics,

lumpow.gif


http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/lumpow.html
 
Thanks. If I grasp something out of the definition, the candela is 1/683 of a watt through I totally have no idea about the steradian d even less concerning the lumens. 1500 candela is 2.19 watt i.e for 60 watts, i need 41095 candela. Am i correct?
 
The luminous intensity in candela units is 1/683 per steradian where the steradian is the solid angle of one radian from the illuminating source. So you'll need to find the solid angle depending on what area you are illuminating. Check out this image:

isqrr.gif


http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/isql.html#c1

Note that a 60 watt light bulb doesn't give 60 watts of light; there is going to be a lot of loss from heat. The box for the Philips soft white 60watt bulb I have in my hand says it has a brightness of 860 lumens. That's the value you should be using.