What is the Relationship Between Candelas, Watts, and Brightness?

• B
  • Thread starter guyburns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brightness
In summary: Candela is a photometric unit, not radiometric unit. It is a measure of luminous intensity, but a foot-lambert is a unit of luminance (cd/m^2) and so they are not equivalent. In order to determine luminous intensity, you need to specify either the angular distribution of light emission or the collection optics for the detector.Statement 1: Candela is a measure of luminous intensity.Statement 2: Candelas, and therefore all related light measurements, at the most fundamental level are measuring Watts – the power of the light. Our eyes interpret that power as brightness, but really, it's Watts.Statement 3: On the surface of an imaginary sphere, 1
guyburns
The SMPTE 196M standard specifies screen brightness for cinemas, as 55 candela per square meter, open gate (no film in the projector, just white light). It used to be specified in terms of foot-lamberts, but let's stick to SI.

I ultimately want to compare the brightness I see in a cinema, with what I see at home and in the local auditorium. But before we get there, I want to go back to basics. With assistance here, I'm hoping to obtain a pretty good understanding of brightness and how it is measured. I'll make certain statements to test my understanding as I go along. Feel free to tell me if I'm right or wrong.

So, just like in Sound of Music, let's start at the very beginning: candelas:

A source that emits monochromatic radiation of frequency 540×10^12 hertz and that has a radiant intensity in that direction of 1/683 Watts per steradian, has an intensity of 1 candela.

Statement 1
An ordinary candle has a luminous intensity of about 1 candela.

Statement 2
Candelas, and therefore all related light measurements, at the most fundamental level are measuring Watts – the power of the light. Our eyes interpret that power as brightness, but really, it's Watts.

Statements 3
  • On the surface of an imaginary sphere, 1 metre from a candle, the power arriving at each square metre will be about 1/683 Watts.
  • Let's say the power arriving on the Earth's surface from the Sun is 1kW per square metre. Therefore, compared to a surface 1 metre from a candle, the Sun provides 683,000 times more power at the surface of the Earth.
  • But the Earth is 1.5 x 10^8 metres from the sun.
  • So the Sun is approximately (6.83 x 10^5) x (1.5 x 10^8)^2 = 1.5 x 10^22 candlepower.
If my understanding of candelas is correct, I can move onto lumens.

Please bear with me. This is going to take some time as I work my way through lumens, lux, candela per square metre, and finally to EV.

Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
guyburns said:
Earth is 1.5 x 10^8 metres from the sun.
it is approximately ##1.5 \cdot 10^{11}\cdot m## .

guyburns said:
Candelas, and therefore all related light measurements, at the most fundamental level are measuring Watts
Candelas and watts are related, but ratio depends of wavelenght and is called luminous efficacy. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy)
wikipedia said:
##{\displaystyle K={\frac {\Phi _{\mathrm {v} }}{\Phi _{\mathrm {e} }}}={\frac {\int _{0}^{\infty }K(\lambda )\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\lambda }\,\mathrm {d} \lambda }{\int _{0}^{\infty }\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\lambda }\,\mathrm {d} \lambda }},}##
lux2.gif

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189
I forgot to convert km to metres. Make the sun about 1.5 x 10^28 candle power.

Ques: Is there an instrument that measures candelas?

guyburns said:
The SMPTE 196M standard specifies screen brightness for cinemas, as 55 candela per square meter, open gate (no film in the projector, just white light). It used to be specified in terms of foot-lamberts, but let's stick to SI.

I ultimately want to compare the brightness I see in a cinema, with what I see at home and in the local auditorium.

Let's correct a few things. 'Candela' is a photometric unit, not a radiometric unit. A candela is a measure of luminous intensity, but a foot-lambert is a unit of luminance (cd/m^2) and so they are not equivalent. In order to determine luminous intensity, you need to specify either the angular distribution of light emission or the collection optics for the detector.

Candela does not refer to Watts- 1 cd = 1 lm/sr.

Thanks for the response, Andy – but you've confused me when you said "they are not equivalent".

The statement about the SMPTE standard came from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-lambert, and it says that a standard measured in foot-lamberts has been replaced with a standard measured in candelas per square meter. Aren't they the same unit?

I'm here to learn about brightness, and I'd like responses to be kept very simple and basic if possible.

I'm trying to get a grip on candelas and I need convincing that candelas, as defined in my original post, are not simply a measure of the Watts crossing a surface. i.e. that there is a direct correlation: double the Watts, double the candelas – under the conditions of the definition. If there is a better way of understanding candelas, please let me know. Just saying it is luminous intensity or brightness doesn't satisfy me. What is brightness? What is luminous intensity? How do you measure it? With what instrument?

I may be wrong, but I have the idea that candelas can't be measured directly. So if you can't measure them directly, what are they? To put it another way, I can measure distance, weight, pressure with simple instruments – directly. I may not get an accurate meaasurement, but anyone can understand what's being measured. What's being measured when a candela is measured?

guyburns said:
Thanks for the response, Andy – but you've confused me when you said "they are not equivalent".

The statement about the SMPTE standard came from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-lambert, and it says that a standard measured in foot-lamberts has been replaced with a standard measured in candelas per square meter. Aren't they the same unit?

A foot-lambert and cd/m^2 are the same unit; a foot-lambert and cd are not the same unit. I may have mis-read the OP.

guyburns said:
I'm trying to get a grip on candelas and I need convincing that candelas, as defined in my original post, are not simply a measure of the Watts crossing a surface. i.e. that there is a direct correlation: double the Watts, double the candelas – under the conditions of the definition. If there is a better way of understanding candelas, please let me know. Just saying it is luminous intensity or brightness doesn't satisfy me. What is brightness? What is luminous intensity? How do you measure it? With what instrument?

I may be wrong, but I have the idea that candelas can't be measured directly. So if you can't measure them directly, what are they? To put it another way, I can measure distance, weight, pressure with simple instruments – directly. I may not get an accurate meaasurement, but anyone can understand what's being measured. What's being measured when a candela is measured?

A picture is worth 1000 words:

physics%20of%20light_zpsknmlle5f.jpg

http://www.dfisica.ubi.pt/~hgil/Fotometria/HandBook/ch07.html

Does this help? Isotropic sources make a lot of the above seem needlessly complicated. Things are more interesting for directional sources.

guyburns said:
Ques: Is there an instrument that measures candelas?

Yes, a radiometer (for precise calibration work a cryogenic radiometer).

f95toli said:
Yes, a radiometer (for precise calibration work a cryogenic radiometer).

Not exactly- a radiometer will measure power (flux). If you know the area of the aperture, you can measure incidance (flux density). If the radiometer is calibrated with a point source, you can measure radiant intensity and if it is calibrated with an extended source, you can measure radiance. If you know the spectral response of the detector, you can then normalize the radiometer and compute the corresponding photometric quantities (or other normalization schemes, such as finsens).

A candela corresponds to luminous intensity.

Sorry, you are right; I meant photometer; not radiometer.
(photometers are calibrated with the help of cryogenic radiometers, but it is not the same instrument)

What is the brightness of cinema screens?

The brightness of cinema screens is measured in units called nits (cd/m²), which refer to the amount of light output per square meter of the screen. The average brightness for cinema screens is around 14-16 nits.

How is the brightness of cinema screens controlled?

The brightness of cinema screens is controlled by adjusting the output of the projectors, which use lamps or lasers to produce the light. The brightness can also be affected by screen material, ambient light, and the age or maintenance of the projectors.

What is the recommended brightness for cinema screens?

The recommended brightness for cinema screens is typically around 14 nits. This level of brightness provides a good balance between the picture quality and the strain on the viewer's eyes. However, brightness can also be adjusted based on the content being shown and personal preferences.

How does the brightness of cinema screens affect the viewing experience?

The brightness of cinema screens can greatly impact the viewing experience. A screen that is too bright can cause eye strain and discomfort, while a screen that is too dim can make it difficult to see details and affect the overall clarity of the image. Proper brightness is essential for an enjoyable viewing experience.

Can the brightness of cinema screens be adjusted for 3D movies?

Yes, the brightness of cinema screens can be adjusted for 3D movies. 3D projectors typically require a higher brightness level to produce a clear and immersive image. As a result, the brightness of cinema screens may be increased for 3D showings to enhance the visual experience.