How can I convert lux to watts for CFL bulbs?

• Thread starter cmkluza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lux Watts
In summary: Ah, so it meant the surface area of the perceiver, not the emitter? That makes this much more simple. Thanks for your help!
cmkluza
Hello all,

I've currently got a swirly CFL bulb that I lit up wirelessly and took some measurements of using a light sensor which returned the data to me in lux. How can I get from lux to watts? As I understand it, lux is a measurement of lumens per unit area, so do I have to somehow find the surface area of this bulb? That doesn't exactly seem simple. I've tried looking up specifications for this bulb specifically, but it doesn't include anything about surface area. The specifications available from the bulb are 2700K color and 1600 lumens. Not sure if that's entirely helpful.

I realize you can figure out power using P = IV, but I figure that doesn't help since I only know the voltage and current input to my slayer exciter, not the voltage and current that the bulb was picking up, and I can't imagine that the slayer exciter is 100% efficient.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:
Hello all,

I've currently got a swirly CFL bulb that I lit up wirelessly and took some measurements of using a light sensor which returned the data to me in lux. How can I get from lux to watts? As I understand it, lux is a measurement of lumens per unit area, so do I have to somehow find the surface area of this bulb? That doesn't exactly seem simple. I've tried looking up specifications for this bulb specifically, but it doesn't include anything about surface area. The specifications available from the bulb are 2700K color and 1600 lumens. Not sure if that's entirely helpful.

I realize you can figure out power using P = IV, but I figure that doesn't help since I only know the voltage and current input to my slayer exciter, not the voltage and current that the bulb was picking up, and I can't imagine that the slayer exciter is 100% efficient.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

You can convert lux to lumens by knowing the area of the detector, and convert that to Watts knowing the spectral distribution of the light (the luminous efficacy). Fluorescent bulbs and CFLs have a luminous efficacy of around 60 lm/W.

On the other hand, since you are given the excitance (1600 lm), you can convert that to W directly (27 W), or use that information to characterize your detector, etc. etc.

Andy Resnick said:
You can convert lux to lumens by knowing the area of the detector, and convert that to Watts knowing the spectral distribution of the light (the luminous efficacy). Fluorescent bulbs and CFLs have a luminous efficacy of around 60 lm/W.

On the other hand, since you are given the excitance (1600 lm), you can convert that to W directly (27 W), or use that information to characterize your detector, etc. etc.
Ah, so it meant the surface area of the perceiver, not the emitter? That makes this much more simple. Thanks for your help!

1. How are watts and lux related?

Watts and lux are both units of measurement used to quantify different aspects of light. Watts measure the power of light, while lux measure the intensity of light hitting a surface. In other words, watts tell us how much light is being produced, while lux tell us how bright that light is on a specific area.

2. Can I convert lux to watts?

No, lux and watts are not directly convertible. Lux measures the intensity of light, while watts measure the power of light. The conversion between these two units depends on various factors such as the distance between the light source and the object, the angle of incidence, and the efficiency of the light source.

3. How can I measure watts from lux?

To measure watts from lux, you will need to use a lux meter and take measurements of the light intensity at a specific distance from the light source. Then, you can use a conversion formula to calculate the power of the light in watts.

4. Is there a formula for converting lux to watts?

Yes, there are various conversion formulas available to convert lux to watts, depending on the specific parameters such as distance and angle of incidence. It is important to note that these formulas may not be entirely accurate due to the many variables involved in the conversion.

5. Why is it important to know how to get watts from lux?

Knowing how to convert lux to watts can be useful in various scientific and technical fields, such as lighting design and energy efficiency. It allows us to understand the power and efficiency of different light sources and make informed decisions about lighting solutions. It can also help in accurately measuring and comparing the output of different light sources.