Can you distribute logarithms?

• Thread starter mileena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary: Sorry for any confusion. In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of the equation logb (x + y) = logb x + logb y and suggests using counterexamples to test its accuracy. The conversation also touches on the logarithm product, quotient, and power rules and the mistake of multiplying instead of adding in the equation. There is also a discussion about the value of log 1 and log 2.
mileena
Does anyone know if the following is true:

logb (x + y) = logb x + logb y

Thanks. This isn't homework, but I am just wondering if the following is true. I already know the logarithm product, quotient, and power rules!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try to find a counterexample?

Ok, good idea. I don't know how to use a scientific calculator yet to figure out logs, but I know they are online. I will plug in some real numbers to see if the equation s true or not.

Ok, I just did, using log 2 and log 3, and then again with log 8 and log 10. It worked! you can distribute logs!

Thanks, and sorry for posting so many questions in one day.

mileena said:
Ok, I just did, using log 2 and log 3, and then again with log 8 and log 10. It worked! you can distribute logs!

Thanks, and sorry for posting so many questions in one day.

It shouldn't work :confused:

Can you post what you did?

:redface:

log(2)=log(1+1)=log(1)+log(1)

Is this true?

johnqwertyful said:
log(2)=log(1+1)=log(1)+log(1)

Is this true?

What's the log of 1?
What's the log of 2?

Nugatory said:
What's the log of 1?
What's the log of 2?

I think he knows lol. He just asked it to the OP :tongue:

micromass said:
I think he knows lol. He just asked it to the OP :tongue:

Oops - right you are. Sorry about that.

mileena said:
Does anyone know if the following is true:

logb (x + y) = logb x + logb y

Thanks. This isn't homework, but I am just wondering if the following is true. I already know the logarithm product, quotient, and power rules!

Make and test an example. Imagine your base is 10, and x=100 and y=10,000,000.

log10(100+10000000)=log10(100)+log10(10000000)
Does this make sense? Does this not make sense?

Log(xy) = log(x) + log(y). Unless xy = x+y, your equation is wrong.

Hi, sorry for not posting sooner, but I was busy all day and I don't really have Internet access until I get to the library.

Let me also say that I am an idiot!

Yesterday, I said that you could distribute logs, so that:

logb (x + y) = logb (x) + logb (y)

But I made a mistake. Instead of adding, for example, 2 and 3, and taking the log of 5 and comparing that with the sum of log 2 and log 3, I multiplied 2 and 3! Thus I got:

logb x + logb y = logb (xy)

which is, of course, the product rule.

symbolipoint said:
Make and test an example. Imagine your base is 10, and x=100 and y=10,000,000.

log10(100+10000000)=log10(100)+log10(10000000)
Does this make sense? Does this not make sense?

mathman said:
Log(xy) = log(x) + log(y). Unless xy = x+y, your equation is wrong.

I did not say that the equation was correct. I only presented it, and then asked two questions. I know already that the equation is wrong. mileena already found understanding that was sought.

@symbolipoint: I think mathman may have been responding to the original post when he was commenting.

@Nugatory: log 1 = 0 and log 2 ≈ 0.6931...

-Junaid :tongue:

junaid314159 said:
@symbolipoint: I think mathman may have been responding to the original post when he was commenting.

@Nugatory: log 1 = 0 and log 2 ≈ 0.6931...

-Junaid :tongue:

mathman, that is possible. I inferred that you may have responded to my post because yours came directly after it, and other interrelations of responses of posts were not clear.

I tried to give an example to be checked and asked if the example made sense.

symbolipoint said:
mathman, that is possible. I inferred that you may have responded to my post because yours came directly after it, and other interrelations of responses of posts were not clear.

I tried to give an example to be checked and asked if the example made sense.

I was responding to the original post.

1. Can you explain what logarithms are and how they work?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that are used to describe the relationship between two numbers. They are the inverse of exponential functions and are used to solve equations where the variable is in the exponent.

2. How do you distribute logarithms?

To distribute logarithms, you need to use the properties of logarithms. This includes the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These rules help you simplify complex logarithmic expressions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What is the purpose of distributing logarithms?

The purpose of distributing logarithms is to simplify complex logarithmic expressions and make them easier to solve. This is especially useful when solving equations or graphing logarithmic functions.

4. Are there any limitations to distributing logarithms?

Yes, there are limitations to distributing logarithms. For example, you cannot distribute a logarithm over a sum or difference of two numbers. Additionally, you cannot distribute a logarithm over a product or quotient if the numbers inside the logarithm have different bases.

5. Can you provide an example of how to distribute logarithms?

Sure, let's say we have the expression log2(x2y). We can distribute the logarithm using the power rule, which states that logb(xn) = n*logb(x). So, in this case, we would get 2*log2(x) + log2(y). This simplifies the expression and makes it easier to work with.